Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BastienC
Frequent Visitor

Duplicates after importing a Table from PostgreSQL DB [Power BI Desktop]

Hi,

Issue with Power Query on Power BI Desktop (February 2022) potentially creating a few duplicates when importing a large Table from a PostgreSQL database.

- Imported a Table called "s_tache" from a PostgreSQL database :
power_query_import.png

- Distribution indicates duplicates in the Primary Key ("tae_id") field. Unique values does not match Number of values :
power_query_duplicate.png

- Checking the source database with a SQL query. "tae_id" is indeed the primary key and does not countain duplicates (Yes, my name is Captain Obvious. How could you tell?)
SQL_query.png

- Deleting rows works. No more duplicates in the Primary Key field :
power_query_duplicate_delete.png

- Keep Rows > Keep duplicates DOES NOT return any row (???):

power_query_duplicate_keep.png

How does that happen? Is it a bug? Not making any sense to me but I could be missing something.

Edit : Reported the issue in the appropriate section

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-Query-showing-quot-ghost-quot-duplicates-in-Profil-Vie...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BastienC
Frequent Visitor

Fixed the issue by using a NativeQuery :

BastienC_0-1646221063416.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
simonthomas

I was struggling with the same issue:  I can confirm it is not simply a visual bug, I had a filter applied after that gave a lot of false positives because of the duplicates. Native query seems to have fixed it.

Thank you so much for your help!!

BastienC
Frequent Visitor

Fixed the issue by using a NativeQuery :

BastienC_0-1646221063416.png

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BastienC 

Glad it works in the report.

It looks weird. Not sure if there is issue in the column profile view. From the first screenshot, the id 4457 is considered to appear in two rows by Power Query. You could try filtering the tae_id column to show only rows that tae_id equals 4457 and check whether the filtered result have one or two rows. 

vjingzhang_0-1646018257387.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Hi Jing,
Thanks for considering my issue. After filtering [tae_id] = 4457 only a single row comes up. 

tae_id_filtered.pngThis really looks like a bug with the profile view. But then, what could Power Query be deleting when targeting duplicates? Really odd.

On top of that, my DAX measures are slightly off the expected results given by SQL queries. However, the data structure was heavily manipulated and the DAX queries are relatively complex. Mistakes could be on my part but with this little bug it's hard to be sure. 

BastienC
Frequent Visitor

This seems to be a visual bug. Duplicates are nowhere to be seen after applying Power Query (without deleting duplicates ofc) and relations "1 to many" related to the field work just fine. Distribution is probably borking a little when the table is too large. Had issues further down the line with my PK not being unique for relations but it could be due to something else.
Will report back if anything new or interesting happens about the subject.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors