Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

lpd82
Helper I
Helper I

Distinct Count Column

NameIdCount
John12
Bob12
John23
Frank23
Joe23

How can I add a column that count the numer of IDs.  I don't want to use measure or group by.  If I create a measure, the counts are wrong when I use the names in the report.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Can't seem to get it to work; I've found an alternative solution.  Thanks you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lpd82
Helper I
Helper I

Do I need to replace PriorStepName?  It said PriorStepName wasn't recognize.  I replaced it with an actual prior step name, also doesn't work.

It works on my side. 

Here is the query...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8srPyFPSUTJUitWJVnLKT4KzoRJGYI5bUWJeNpznlZ8KYccCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Id = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Count", each let x=[Id] in List.Count(List.Select(Source[Id], each _ = x ) ) )
in
    #"Added Custom"

Result:

Jakinta_0-1633121359299.png

Can't seem to get it to work; I've found an alternative solution.  Thanks you.

Jakinta
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You can add this step.

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "Count", each let x=[Id] in List.Count(List.Select( PriorStepName[Id], each _ = x ) ) )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors