Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

admin-unidoze
Frequent Visitor

Displayname for Dataverse field

In the july 2022 version of Power BI it was announced that you can see the display name in Power BI of a dataverse-field, instead of the technical name: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-my/blog/power-bi-july-2022-feature-summary/#post-19945-_Toc10809984...

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work very good ...

Today I got two failing dashboards, working on the same Semantic model, with the following error (online dashboard):

adminunidoze_0-1706879909966.png

And in the dashboard (pbix) itself:

adminunidoze_1-1706879938928.png

Here is the situation:

• I have a Dynamics CRM with an "accounts" table with a field "nrq_enterprisenumbers_numbersonly".
  • I have imported this field in a Power BI Semantic Model, and in Power Query it's visible as "nrq_enterprisenumbers_numbersonly".
  • When I go to the Power BI design, the field is renamed as "Enterprise Number (numbers only)", the same display name as is used in Dynamics for the English language.
  • I have created two reports that depend on this semantic model, published them, and they are used for already several months
  • Today, someone decided to rename the field in Dynamics as "Enterprise Number ( numbers only)" (A space after the bracket). Probably not intended, but for some reason this change made it through the production-process, and the change of the displayname was pushed in production environment.
  • And now those two dashboards can't find that specific field anymore ...

So: How can I make sure that Power BI just uses the "nrq_enterprisenumbers_numbersonly", so the technical name of the field. Those names won't normally change anymore.

(Also notice that when you change the language of the user interface of the users that connects to the Dataverse, all display names are changed to that specific language! In my opinion that is also a very strange behaviour, since I'm not able to change that language anymore, or all my dashboard will suddenly fail!)

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @admin-unidoze 

This looks like an issue as the behavior is different from the expected behavior introduced in the feature summary article. I will do a test to check whether I can reproduce the same result. I will let you know once I have any update. Thank you for your patience. 

Best Regards,
Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors