Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcbutts
Helper I
Helper I

Dates in column out of order

Hi,

I have a dataset with a purchase order column that is grouped and indexed by the date.  However, the dates won't show in order which gets the indexing wrong.  The data are showing with "10" coming after "1" instead of "2" coming after "1".  I tried changing the dates to text both before and after the grouping, but nothing seems to work:

Date          PO           Index

6/1/21       8671        1

6/10/21     8671        2

6/11/21     8671        3

6/2/21       8671        4

6/3/21       8671        5

6/1/21       9888        1

6/3/21       9888        2

6/1/21       1214        1

6/10/21     1214        2

6/11/21     1214        3

6/2/21       1214        4

Any thoughts?  Is there a different date format I can use so that the dates in the column are in order (and the indexing correct)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jcbutts ,

Earlier is a context function,it can only be used in calculated column,if you wanna create a measure ,use "MAX" instead.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @jcbutts ,

You need to change the dates to date format,then create the rank column:

vkellymsft_0-1624517336918.png

And you will see:

vkellymsft_1-1624517350192.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi,

I tried changing to dates first but it still doesn't seem to work.  I was creating an index column (what you called rank) within power query.  I see that you did it as a measure, which I also tried.  However, I get an error with the "earlier" function that states that the earlier row context doesn't exist:

jcbutts_0-1624905933710.png

Is using a measure better in this case?  If so, what am I doing wrong?

Hi @jcbutts ,

Earlier is a context function,it can only be used in calculated column,if you wanna create a measure ,use "MAX" instead.

Best Regards,
Kelly

jcbutts
Helper I
Helper I

I've tried both "date" and "text" and neither of them make a difference.  The dates, and regional settings, are in US format.  It recognizes the date properly....I can check in the desktop view and see that it's being interpreted correctly.  I just can't get the dates sorted properly in power query and that is causing my index values to go out of order.

Sounds really strange...

Can you tell us a little bit more...

Anyway we agree on something, regarding your goal you need your column to be Date type, to get the sorting using time scale, and not alphabetical.

If you sort (using the drop down menu on column header in Power Query) does it change something if you choose Ascending ? or Descending ? (in case you have other sorting on other columns in place ?)

Is it the same behaviour if your column type is Text and Date ?

It is a "normal" sorting order (on your screen copy) if your column is considered as Text,

but it should work fine with your column being type Date.

Let us know...

AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

No easy o nswer as we do not know what is your regional settings. Looks like your dates are in US format (mm/dd/yy), and it seems they are not recognised as Date by Power Query ?

If I'm right, first thing you can try (if not already done), check your data type (with the drop down menu on headers of columns), is it Date ?

If not and you can not set it as date, try using on Transform tab the button Column from example, and type in the date as they should be according to your regional settings.

Hope it helps, let us know...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors