Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Chava1881
Helper II
Helper II

Data Refresh with issues when columns change

Good Day all,

I am learning Power BI, my level is really basic and the course I took didn't have any information on my issue nor have been able to find an answer for this browsing in the web.

I've got a data base for actuals & forecast for specific products, I need to run some reports and scorecards concerning that data, see attainment on FCST, Deltas,etc. The issue is that this is not static DB, it is a 24 rolling months data base, so each month, I move one month, for example, if I run it today, it'll start on April 1st on 2018 and end up on april 1st 2020.

I created a master file for the actuals/forecast data to be kept with a relationship with another table to track my products, the structure is pretty simple, it was product column, product ID, product description, column that indicates if it is actuals or forecast, then the 24 months, and that worked really well, but as we just moved to a new month, it is throwing an error stating that column March 2018 is missing and doesn't allow me to refresh. 

Is there a way I can setup my data to refresh even if the data base columns have changed? if not, every single month I would be running into this same situation and it would not be lean at all. thoughts anyone?

Regards, 

Carlos Ch. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Chava1881 ,

Where do you have the refresh error? Power BI Desktop or Power BI Service?

In addition, it seems that you will delete the column and the refresh the data source.

If it is, I'm afraid it will have refresh error. To update dataset, you have to re-load the data into Power BI desktop each month, rather than directly clicking the refresh button.

If it is convenient, could you share the screenshots of your error message and your dummy data structure so that I could understand your scenario better.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sure, I attached a file that looks like my data base. As you can see there are columns that are information related to product and region then what data type is it (forecast/ship actuals), then all months start coming and as time passes by, months are going to get removed/added. 

Hope this helps. data base example.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors