Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create google API to lookup latitude and longitute of zip code

I have a table with zip codes. I would like to lookup the latitidue and longitude using a google API (I see lot's of posts on this). I've never created an API. How can I create a google API to give me the latitude and longitude of a zip code in a table? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see these steps/examples to get long lat from a zip code with the Google Geocode API

1. Follow these instructions to create a billing account (don't worry you get quite a bit of free credit, but you can track it to make sure), enable the Geocode API, and get an API key (keep this confidential).

https://developers.google.com/maps/gmp-get-started#api-key

2. Have a table with a zipcode column in text format (you have that already). 

3. Create a text parameter called MyApiKey (case sensitive) and put your new API key in it

4. Make a new blank query and paste this M code to make a function and call it fxGetLongLatFromZip

let
Source = (zipcode as text) => let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=" & zipcode & "&key=" & MyApiKey)),
results = Source[results],
results1 = results{0},
geometry = results1[geometry],
location = geometry[location]
in
Source

5. On your table with zipcodes, add a column by hitting the Invoke Custom Function button.  Choose your Zip column as the input.

6. Expand the returned record and keep drilling through the JSON until you find the Long and Lat values.

7. Enjoy your long lat data.

8. Mark this as the solution and please give Kudos.

Please see this example M query with a few zipcodes to test it out and see the drill steps to get to long and lat from the JSON response from the google API.

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjG3NDBUitWBsIzgLGM4y0QpNhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Zip = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Zip", type text}}),
#"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "fxGetLongLatFromZip", each fxGetLongLatFromZip([Zip])),
#"Expanded fxGetLongLatFromZip" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Invoked Custom Function", "fxGetLongLatFromZip", {"lat", "lng"}, {"lat", "lng"}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded fxGetLongLatFromZip",{{"lat", type number}, {"lng", type number}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see these steps/examples to get long lat from a zip code with the Google Geocode API

1. Follow these instructions to create a billing account (don't worry you get quite a bit of free credit, but you can track it to make sure), enable the Geocode API, and get an API key (keep this confidential).

https://developers.google.com/maps/gmp-get-started#api-key

2. Have a table with a zipcode column in text format (you have that already). 

3. Create a text parameter called MyApiKey (case sensitive) and put your new API key in it

4. Make a new blank query and paste this M code to make a function and call it fxGetLongLatFromZip

let
Source = (zipcode as text) => let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=" & zipcode & "&key=" & MyApiKey)),
results = Source[results],
results1 = results{0},
geometry = results1[geometry],
location = geometry[location]
in
Source

5. On your table with zipcodes, add a column by hitting the Invoke Custom Function button.  Choose your Zip column as the input.

6. Expand the returned record and keep drilling through the JSON until you find the Long and Lat values.

7. Enjoy your long lat data.

8. Mark this as the solution and please give Kudos.

Please see this example M query with a few zipcodes to test it out and see the drill steps to get to long and lat from the JSON response from the google API.

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjG3NDBUitWBsIzgLGM4y0QpNhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Zip = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Zip", type text}}),
#"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "fxGetLongLatFromZip", each fxGetLongLatFromZip([Zip])),
#"Expanded fxGetLongLatFromZip" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Invoked Custom Function", "fxGetLongLatFromZip", {"lat", "lng"}, {"lat", "lng"}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded fxGetLongLatFromZip",{{"lat", type number}, {"lng", type number}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors