Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

harris_ali

Connection only query

Hi everyone one,

I am new to power query/power bi. I am trying to link the file from external soure to my consolidation file but getting this message..

"you can't refresh a connection only query". All i am trying to do is brought in file from a folder.

Help from any of you is much appreicated.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
edhans
Super User
Super User

Connection only queries are only refreshed/calculated if another query depends on it. If nothing is using it (it isn't loaded to the model, or to a spreadsheet in Excel) then Power Query won't bother calculating it because it goes nowhere.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @harris_ali ,

Does this issue have been resolved?Could you please provide more details about it If it still not be resolved? Please don't contain any Confidential Information or Real data in your reply.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @harris_ali ,

Does there a query exist after you import it such as following picture? Could you try to describle the reproduce steps simply about getting this error? If you want to get files in Folder, we can try to use the Get Data - Folder to meet your requirement:

18.jpg

Please don't contain any Confidential Information or Real data in your reply.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Is this Excel?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors