Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Jared__
Frequent Visitor

Conditionally Fill Down if the previous row value matches!

Hello everyone, 

I'm working with some project data and i have the task of consolidating the data for previous month. However, the dataset look like the below due to the merged cells in excel . The issue is that when filling down "Project 1" Values continue to fill down on the null values for Project 2 . Is there any way to write a conditional statement to solve this??

Current State
 Project NameDeliverablesValue
Project 1Task 175
Project 1Task 1null
Project 2Task 2null
Project 3Task 320

Future State:

Project NameDeliverablesValue
Project 1Task 175
Project 1Task 175
Project 2Task 2null
Project 3Task 320

I would really appreciate the help 

Jared___0-1694747316361.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jared__ ,
if you use the "All" aggregation type in a group-operation, you will get all the rows that belong to your group columns. This allows you to limit the scope of the fill down operation to your desired values.
the save way to go would be this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCijKz0pNLlEwVNJRCkkszgYzzE2VYnVwyOWV5uSgyBrBZI2wyRrDZEEMIwOl2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#" Project Name" = _t, Deliverables = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{" Project Name", type text}, {"Deliverables", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {" Project Name"}, {{"partition", each Table.FillDown(_,{"Value"})}}),
    Custom1 = Table.Combine(#"Grouped Rows"[partition])
in
    Custom1

but if your data is sorted by Project name already in the source and performance is an issue, then you can speed things up using the GroupKind.Local option like so:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCijKz0pNLlEwVNJRCkkszgYzzE2VYnVwyOWV5uSgyBrBZI2wyRrDZEEMIwOl2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#" Project Name" = _t, Deliverables = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{" Project Name", type text}, {"Deliverables", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {" Project Name"}, {{"partition", each Table.FillDown(_,{"Value"})}}, GroupKind.Local),
in
    Custom1

But this will only return correct result if the rows for each group already sit together without any gaps/breaks.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jared__ ,
if you use the "All" aggregation type in a group-operation, you will get all the rows that belong to your group columns. This allows you to limit the scope of the fill down operation to your desired values.
the save way to go would be this:

let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {" Project Name"}, {{"partition", each Table.FillDown(_,{"Value"})}}),
in
    Custom1

but if your data is sorted by Project name already in the source and performance is an issue, then you can speed things up using the GroupKind.Local option like so:

let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {" Project Name"}, {{"partition", each Table.FillDown(_,{"Value"})}}, GroupKind.Local),
in
    Custom1

But this will only return correct result if the rows for each group already sit together without any gaps/breaks.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors