Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Theo_Westsite

Change Source from one Excel-File to multiple

Hello everyone,

I am very inexperienced with PowerBI and have only just started using it and therefore need your expertise:

PowerBI is currently extracting all data from a very large Excel file. Since this Excel file has become very large, I divided the file into different files by year manually.

This means that in future I will no longer extract the data from just one file with the name Data.xlsx but Data_2023.xlsx, Data_2024.xlsx, Data_2025.xlsx and so on. How to adust PowerBI / source settings so the divided files are been taken into account?

FYI:

- The subdivided files have the same structure as the original file Data.xlsx.

- The Data_2025.xlsx file does not yet exist. This is to be added next year, but I do not want to change the query then, but the file should be taken into account automatically as soon as it is available.

-If possible, i would prefer a solution where i only have to adjust the source settings but not to rebuild the entire query from scratch.

I have worked with a different BI system for many years. There, there was simply the option in the source to change the file path from Data.xlsx to Data_*.xlsx and all files would have been taken into account. Is there something similar in PowerBI?

Thanks for your support!

5 REPLIES 5
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Use Folder connector. I recommend to click transform data (not combine and transform).

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

Thanks for the idea. The application was developed by my predecessor, who unfortunately I can no longer ask. The application references a SharePoint path in the PowerBI query. I can access the Sharepoint path via Explorer, but when I enter it in the query, an error occurs (I am constantly asked for my login details). When I click on browse during the query, only my personal file path appears (C:\..\...). How can i insert a Sharepoint point and make it work?

Is this a Access right issue? If yes, then am i able to Access the Sharepoint path via Explorer?

Check this video.

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi Power BI / Power Query can not create new files for you. Consider using Power Automate for example.

Sorry for the confusion: i do not want PBI to divide or create the files. I just want to change the source settings so the divided files are been taken into account instead of just one file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors