Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mhamilton-wiot
Regular Visitor

Calling Graph from Power Query

Hi everyone,

We're trying to connect to Planner from Power BI using Graph.

We've followed this excellent post, calling "/groups/<our group id>/planner/plans" to get all the plans for a specific group into a table called "Plans". So far so good.

Next, we somehow need to iterate over that list of plans, and call "/planner/plans/<id>/tasks" to get all the tasks across all the plans into a table called "Tasks" that we can then join to Plans.

Is such a thing possible? Can I somehow loop over one table and call Graph for each row to produce another table? Or is there some easier way that we're missing?

Cheers,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Sure @mhamilton-wiot ,
you add a custom column to the table where you reference the column with the plan id as input.
If you run into refresh errors in the service, please check out this article: 
Web Scraping 2: Scrape multiple pages at once and refresh in Power BI service – (thebiccountant.com)

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

True @mhamilton-wiot ,
couldn't agree more.
Especially, as they also actively discourage using GraphAPI endpoints at all from Power Query.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

mhamilton-wiot
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply! The custom column solution did occur to me the day after posting this, but I hadn't gotten it working to the point where I was happy to post back here until the weekend struck.

I've managed to get it refreshing with a single custom column to get the tasks for each plan, but if I then tried to add another custom column to get the buckets for each plan ... that seemed to be a bridge too far and the dataset would stop refreshing. In the end I had to split it into two queries - one to get the plans+tasks, and the other to get the plans+buckets. A bit of duplication but it seems to work.

Hard to believe it's 2023 and MS still hasn't given us a proper Planner connector for Power BI. 😞

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Sure @mhamilton-wiot ,
you add a custom column to the table where you reference the column with the plan id as input.
If you run into refresh errors in the service, please check out this article: 
Web Scraping 2: Scrape multiple pages at once and refresh in Power BI service – (thebiccountant.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors