Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bug in Power Query? Losing records after change order of filtering. Weird puzzle??

I want to report the total visits on webpages for our organization. The data I get from Google Analytics; A total of 190.000 records of page-counts, per site, per day over the last 2 years. However, it seems that 'Power Query' loses records when changing the filtering order. I have applied two filters, in the sequence below (see first printscreen);

First filter                            [Rijen gefilterd2], each [Date] = #date(2019, 2, 12)

Second filter                      [Rijen gefilterd], each Text.Contains([Page path level 3], "25480")

figure 1: the good result

Power Query good result.png

when I change the order of the two filters the outcome is wrong, I only get 4 records with different totals.

Power Query wrong result.png

What is going on????? I don’t understand why I lose records with the same filtering but different sequence.  When I delete the two filters, and load the data into power bi and drop it in a table and do the same filtering, I also get the incorrect records.

Power BI desktop result.png

Is this a bug? Can any one me help to solve this problem. Do I have to report this to Microsoft?

I’m already struggeling for 6 hours on this problem.

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

There are limitations on Googles site on how many data the API will deliver (also sampling might take place).

Please check out Ruths videos how she worked around these issues, i.e. here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bkJCjJK9U0 

I believe you have to use a custom connector so that your filters are actually pushed down to the source at Google to reduce the size of the data that counts against your daily limit.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hy ImkeF, thanks for your reply, but this is not the solution.

The issue is not how to get te (right) data out of google analytics. I get the rigth records, but only by changing the sequence of two filters, I lose records, without refreshing the source. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors