Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Alex_Ooi
Helper IV
Helper IV

BUG: Reorder.Columns?

Hi,

This is the second time I am encountering a weird problem when I use Reorder.Columns( ) function after I have created some calculated columns (in DAX).

What I do is this:

1. Load my dataset

2. Created some calculated columns (in DAX)

3. Realised I missed some columns that I should actually code in M (since it's related to ETL)

4. Created some computed columns, in M, using Table.AddColumn ( )
5. Reordered my computed columns using Reorder.Columns( )

The funny thing is the dataset looks exactly like what I reordered them to be in the Power Query view, but once I hit "Close & Apply" and go back to viewing the dataset in Power BI interface, the columns were still at the rightmost side.

What I did in the past when my dataset and workings in DAX aren't that many (yet) was to copy + paste my M code into a blank query and it worked fine. I don't think doing this now is something I'd want to do because it is really a big headache now when everything has expanded.

Any advise? Looking forward to hearing from you experts. Thanks!

Regards,

Alex

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

Once the data is loaded to the data model, changing column order in Power Query does nothing. The only fix is to unload, apply, and reload the table. Of course, that will destroy any calculated columns, measures, visuals, and filters you were using. I don't know if that is a bug as much as it is a design issue.

In designing reports though it doesn't really matter. When choosing fields in both the Report and Model views, they are alphabetcial. You only see this issue in the Data view, which I try to stay out of anyway. I avoid calculated columns as much as possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

Hello @Alex_Ooi 

so you did try my solution that i proposed to

- leave your query as it is, but passing for refreshing purposes a table one new column onl (add new final step that procudes a table with one column only)

- update datamodel (now with errors, because of the missing columns)

- delete final step to pass your query

it would be interesting to know if this could solve your issue

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution.
Kudos are nice to - thanks
Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
edhans
Super User
Super User

Once the data is loaded to the data model, changing column order in Power Query does nothing. The only fix is to unload, apply, and reload the table. Of course, that will destroy any calculated columns, measures, visuals, and filters you were using. I don't know if that is a bug as much as it is a design issue.

In designing reports though it doesn't really matter. When choosing fields in both the Report and Model views, they are alphabetcial. You only see this issue in the Data view, which I try to stay out of anyway. I avoid calculated columns as much as possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Alas, there is really no other way then. Sigh...

Thanks for your advice tho.

Hello @Alex_Ooi ,

but did you try my proposal?

Jimmy

I basically duped my entire query back, as what I did in the past. Needless to say, it is hurtful to do the remodelling etc, but better now than later. Thanks tho.

Hello @Alex_Ooi 

so you did try my solution that i proposed to

- leave your query as it is, but passing for refreshing purposes a table one new column onl (add new final step that procudes a table with one column only)

- update datamodel (now with errors, because of the missing columns)

- delete final step to pass your query

it would be interesting to know if this could solve your issue

Have fun

Jimmy

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Alex_Ooi ,

I'm not 100% sure but I think once handed over to the datamodel, the order of the columns are not part of the interface, meaning that only columnNames and their content part of the update procedure. Interesting thing is that the sort order is updated in the diagram view.

What you could try to do is to copy content of your query, delete it all, fill it with an empty tabel with one column, update power pivot and then go back to your query an paste your query back in.

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors