Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RichHead1821
Resolver I
Resolver I

Any tool available to globally analyse the M for an entire dataflow

Without having to open each query in turn (I am tasked with finding out which of the input fields are actually used in Power BI - i.e. which get past the dataflow into the dataset and then is it used in a visual or a measure)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @RichHead1821 ,

Get yourself a copy of DAX Studio from here:

https://daxstudio.org/ 

Then get a copy of @ImkeF 's brilliant cleaning tool and all the details on how to use it here:

https://www.thebiccountant.com/2020/01/01/tidy-up-power-bi-models-with-the-power-bi-cleaner-tool/ 

I use this all the time and it does exactly what you need it to do, plus a whole lot more!

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RichHead1821
Resolver I
Resolver I

Whilst I didn't get a solution, I've marked it as such to stop the 'nagging emails' 🙂

KNP
Super User
Super User

You could try this one from RADACAD...

https://powerbihelper.org

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x
RichHead1821
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thanks @BA_Pete - tried that and the cleaner tool fails (column report file(s) not found) - so not a solution for me 😞

That's a shame. Did you match up the DAX Studio and Cleaner versions correctly?

I use Cleaner v10 and DAX Studio 2.15.0 and it works fine. You can pick up older DS versions on their download page and I can put Cleaner v10 on here if you're interested to give it a shot?

I don't know of any other way to do what you want I'm afraid.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@BA_Pete I can't find anything below v11 on the BI accountant...

@KNP I tried this, but need Premium Per User to be able to use (connect to endpoint) - waiting on my IT guys to sort that

😞

Hi @RichHead1821 ,

Cleaner v10 attached below.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@RichHead1821 - I was under the impression that you can connect directly to the PBIX file if you have it open. (I haven't used it for a while)

Thus avoiding the need for PPU. But if you can use this to get a PPU license then I'd say that's a win. 😁

KNP_0-1643279238929.png

Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
KIfp67uy-Sr

Maybe I am misunderstanding the tool, my PBIX files are (in most cases) live connections to datasets, in turn fed from a dataflow, I didn't see any way of seeing the dataflow's power queries when connected to a PBIX file.

I feel like I need to do some reading, but the project timeline won't allow me to pause

Yes that does complicate things some. I'll try and have a look tomorrow if I have time. 

I use the same architecture as you're describing.

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

@RichHead1821 ,

I don't think the live connection thing should matter (although I could easily be wrong) as both tools work on either an open or loaded data model. Neither, I believe, go as far as to interrogate sources, just what's available/loaded in the front-end model.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I'm not sure, I'll try again tomorrow, at the moment I am manually trawling through it all

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @RichHead1821 ,

Get yourself a copy of DAX Studio from here:

https://daxstudio.org/ 

Then get a copy of @ImkeF 's brilliant cleaning tool and all the details on how to use it here:

https://www.thebiccountant.com/2020/01/01/tidy-up-power-bi-models-with-the-power-bi-cleaner-tool/ 

I use this all the time and it does exactly what you need it to do, plus a whole lot more!

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors