Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add new calculated column with values from 2 tables (Power Query)

Hello all, 

I'm really new to Power BI and Power Query and I am now struggling with the following:

Imagine we have Table1 and Table2, which can link by the column "Name":

Table1
NameProduced Meters
example 1  100
example 2  200

Table2
NameRun Time
example 1  10
example 2  10

Now I want to calculate in Table2 the "Run Speed" which is "Produced Meters" divided by "Run Time" for each matching row so that the result is the following:

Table2 - after step 
NameRun TimeRun Speed
example 11010
example 21020

How can I do this in only one step??

I have obtained the desired result in more than one step with following code, by adding first the "Produced Meters" column to Table :

#"Add Produced Meters on Table2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step","Produced Meters",

(x) => Table.First(Table.SelectRows(Table1, each Text.StartsWith(x[Name], [Name])))[Produced Meters], type number)

in 

#"Add Produced Meters on Table2"

And then I can divide by the Run Time of Table 2 and I obtain Run Speed as supposed. 

But how can I do this without adding the "Produced Meters" column first and instead do the calculation right away? I've tried the following code which returns a error:

#"Calculate Run Speed on Table2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step","Run Speed",

(x) => Table.First(Table.SelectRows(Table1, each Text.StartsWith(x[Name], [Name])))[Produced Meters]/[Run Time], type number)

in 

#"Calculate Run Speed on Table2"

Sorry if this is a bit pedantic but I really want to understand better this for future occasions.

Big thanks in advance for any help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try adding this as a new custom column in Table2:

let
  currentName = [Name],
  meters = Table.SelectRows(Table1, each [Name] = currentName){0}[Produced Meters]
in
  meters / [Run Time]

This gives me the following output:

BA_Pete_1-1637767152040.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

It's certainly possible to do this in one step (see @BA_Pete's answer) but you should be aware that such a solution is less efficient than a multi-step approach of merging in the column and then dividing.

Merge-then-divide should be a linear complexity O(N) whereas an unoptimized lookup-then-divide is likely quadratic complexity O(N2). If your dataset is large this can make a huge difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I will take this into account and use Merge-then-divide

@AlexisOlson is correct.

I've done the solution as requested as an excercise but, if it was up to me, I'd relate both tables in the data model to a Name dimension table and do it with measures.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you already helped me, but could you show me with this example how this would be done? 

I've been working mainly in the Power Query since I don't have much familiarity with DAX and it still kind of confuses me.

Thanks!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try adding this as a new custom column in Table2:

let
  currentName = [Name],
  meters = Table.SelectRows(Table1, each [Name] = currentName){0}[Produced Meters]
in
  meters / [Run Time]

This gives me the following output:

BA_Pete_1-1637767152040.png

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for showing me how it's done.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors