Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Humanity
Regular Visitor

Complex Excel Workbook into Power BI + PowerApps

We have an excel book with 10s of thousands of calculations run to generate output from input into a row.

So I made a canvas app, and now must translate all the math over.  What is the most effective way to translate this over?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Import your excel wokr book into power bi and it should recognize the calculaitons 

@Anonymous 

It turns all the tables into static text while it imports.  So you get the calculation results but not the calculations.

Unless you know of some way around that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you send an example of the calculation you are importing ? 

@Anonymous 

Here are some examples.

=IF($F20="",0,IF(Insulation!AS6="",0,Insulation!AS6))

=BF34*BD34

Y31: =IF($F31="",0,SUM(BR31:BU31)-SUM(AQ31:AT31)-(IF(OR(CE31=0,CE31=""),0,(CH31*CG31/CE31)/BI31))-IF(OR(BI31=0,BI31=""),0,(BJ31-CG31)/BI31))

AI34: =IF($F34="",0,IF((BF34-CD34)*Baseline!$K$75+IF(OR(CE34=0,CE34=""),0,(CD34*CH34)/CE34)-(AG34)-(AH34)<0,0.01,(BF34-CD34)*Baseline!$K$75+IF(OR(CE34=0,CE34=""),0,(CD34*CH34)/CE34)-(AG34)-(AH34)))
Anonymous
Not applicable

The calculations dont seem that intense so I would duplicate the measures in DAX or just have the excel workbook do all the work and connect your power bi report to the output from excel.  

I'm trying to avoid DAX because long term we are translating everything to SQL down the road.

Do you happen to know how to connect an Excel book to Power BI in a way that we can strill write to it using PowerApps input fields?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Humanity,

If these formulas are designed on the excel data table, you cna try to use the 'import' feature to import the whole workbook to power bi desktop. (it include current formulas)

Import Excel workbooks into Power BI Desktop 

If not, I think you need to manually convert these formulas with power bi Dax expressions logic. (since power bi data mode table not include column/row index, so these excel DAX functions not fully works on power bi desktop side)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors