Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BraneyBI
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

Personal Gateway Settings not appearing in PowerBI.com

I have installed the Personal Gateway on my 64 bit server and it is currently running (new install today). 

I used the same account to create a PowerBI page and uploaded a test file with a single connection to an on Prem SQL Server.

The data is loaded to the data model and I have a singe PowerView report.  I created two tests, one in an Excel Data Model and the other as a PowerBI Desktop (PBIX) file.

The files were both upload to PowerBI, and when I try to refresh then, there is no indication that it is finding my Personal Gateway.  I tried connecting from the same machine on which the gateway is running as well as a different machine, but neither work. 

I am currently running under the PowerBI Pro Trial. 

26 REPLIES 26
jjblanco
Frequent Visitor

Hi. In case somebody else reads this thread, I went through some very similar issues and obscure connection errors when attempting to schedule a refresh on a dataset, and it ended up being a firewall issue.

Check my detailed comment on http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Does-the-Data-Management-Gateway-need-to...

Cheers!

OK, we have "successfully configured" Personal Gateway, logged into the Power BI service with a Dashboard + Reports + Dataset but, when we go to Settings > Dataset we only get a "blank white screen" = any ideas, I mean I could understand a "can NOT connect' but why blank?

We see now other way to "configure" the data source?

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@BraneyBI when you mouse over the data set, you will see three dots to the right, click on that and then click on Schedule Refresh.  Then you should be able to drill into Gateway section and see if your Gateway is running.  If it's not, you have a problem.  If it is you may want to click into Data sources and make sure you have working credentials specified there and then you can go and specify the refresh schedule.  But if the Gateway is not identified as Online, your refresh will not work.

2015-08-05 14_32_57-Power BI - Internet Explorer.png

Hi Braney,

Couple questions.
When installing the Personal Gateway - did that install successfully?
When you are trying to schedule a refresh on one of the datasets, what are you seeing? Do you get an error?

Are the files on the same machine as the gateway?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, the gateway installed successfully and when I go to "Datasets" for the Refresh_Test file, I don't see the Gateway settings (like I saw in Miguel's video).  When I try to update the credentials, the connection fails. 

I have not been able to find any guidance on how to troubleshoot the fact that the Gateway is not appearing.

Gateway.PNG

I am guessing that means that even though the gatway is installed, it is not being seen by the service. 

Is there a way to "force" the service to see the gateway?

not that i know of... when you double click on the Gateway icon in the toolbar, does the window that comes up after that say "Connected, You are good to go!" ?

Yes, it does. 

Is the server in the same domain?

and what error do you get when you click on "edit credentials" (in your screenshot)?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I had originally created the data connection using a different ID (which uses SQL connection).  The ID running PowerBI is the administrator and has a windows credential.  So I used the Windows Authentication method on the PowerBI.com configuration. 

I just tried again and got this error.  (still no gateway showing) .

Yes, the server, admin user and PowerBI user are on the same domain.

DataConnectionError.PNG

Interesting. Check out the very bottom of the support page here

The last image looks very similiar, except for the error code.

I wonder if you downloaded the preview version of the personal gateway somehow...

What would be interesting is if that gateway download is off some MS site, and needs to be updated...

See if downloading the personal gateway from the support site fixes things...

So, before I tried un-installing and re-installing the gateway, I checked its version number before the uninstall, and it was 1.5.5675.2.  I re-installed from the support page, and the version is still the same.  Still getting the same behavior - No Gateway showing up in PQ

BraneyBI,

Can you confirm on the site that you see 10GB of data used when you click on the settings wheel?

Untitled.png

I've been trying other ways to replicate this issue, and reading over the conversation... still haven't come up with anything.

Yes, I show 3MB of 10 GB used. 

Braney,

Unless someone else chimes in, here's what I recommend.

Set up the power bi personal gateway on your machine, connect to the same data sets and check refresh. If that works, we know it has something to do with setting things up on the server.

@BraneyBI for some reason your gateway is not seen by the service.. is it possible that it's a proxy issue?

The server is currently the only machine that I have access to that is machine joined (I use Remote Desktop to access).  This is a client installation.  I will be onsite this afternoon and will have another user who is domain joined install the gateway and test it that way. 

So we tried to load the Personal Gateway on the client's laptop today.  When it got to the point where it says "Please wait while we check a few more things" it spun and never resolved (3 hours and counting). 

yikes...

using the support articles, everything mentioned in them is set up correctly on their machine?

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/649846-power-bi-personal-gateway

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors