Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ferrret
Frequent Visitor

Accessing Instagram followers per page in PBI

Hi everyone, 

Has anybody managed to set up a decent data connection between Instagram and Power BI?  They do have a web API but unfortunately its extremely limited in terms of endpoints. 

For example I've had clients ask for information like total followers per page and unfortunately even this very basic info isn't accesible.

As the data is all publicly available on Instagram it seems weird that it should be so hard to get it into PBI.  I wonder if there is a clever way to connect to the user's web page and somehow parsing the html to get the relevant info?

Thanks in advance for any help

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Ferrret,

There is no built-in Instagram connector in Power BI Desktop, there is an idea about this issue, please vote it up.

In addition, in Instagram API article, I found that it provides pagination function for you to access more data in any request for sequential data as somtimes you can't get enough data. Have you applied the pagination function in Power BI Desktop?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia I'll definitely check that out. 

On closer inspection the Instagram API actually requires authorisation via a registered application.  I am correct in thinking that this would not be possible using PBI?

Apologies for the rookie questions and thanks again for your help!

Dan

@Ferrret,

I am not very clear about "authorisation via a registered application", do you get error message when adding the access token in the web url?

Regards,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors