Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vitaly
Helper III
Helper III

OneLake and Paused Fabric Capacities

Does OneLake become inaccessible if a Fabric capacity is paused?

Is there an official Microsoft Fabric document that would clarify this aspect? If so, can you please point us to it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ElizabethO
Employee
Employee

I'm on the OneLake team and can confirm that OneLake is inaccessible when the capacity is paused.  Requests to your data consume Fabric Capacity Units (CUs) so we require an active capacity.  We will clarify this in the documentation soon.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ElizabethO
Employee
Employee

I'm on the OneLake team and can confirm that OneLake is inaccessible when the capacity is paused.  Requests to your data consume Fabric Capacity Units (CUs) so we require an active capacity.  We will clarify this in the documentation soon.

+1 looking forward to reading more documentation about this 😀

And here is the link to the documentation: OneLake consumption - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

@ElizabethO thank you!

I have a follow up question: if I have a Power BI report in Capacity B, which is querying data stored on Capacity A, and Capacity A is in a throttling or rejection state (in this case, Capacity A is not Paused however it is overloaded), will the throttling state of Capacity A affect it's ability to serve data to the Power BI report on Capacity B? 

Another more general way to put this question: does consuming data which is stored on Capacity A from a service which is on another capacity, put any load on Capacity A? Or is the load counted only against the Capacity which is consuming the data?

This is interesting to understand in order to plan capacity strategy.

Thank you!

Thanks Elizabeth, much appreciated.

ananthkrishna99
Frequent Visitor

Hi @vitaly 

It's not available. I have provisioned a Fabric Capacity in Azure portal and attached it to a Fabric Workspace(Workspace 1). Upload a file into the Lakehouse and created a shorctcut to it from another Fabric workspace(Workspace 2 -- not connected to the Workspace 1 Capacity) Lakehouse successfully.

Now I paused the workspace 1 capacity and tried to open the Workspace 1 after 5mins. Now, workspace is not accessible and shorctut created in workspace 2 also not accessible.

ananthkrishna99_0-1689133420444.png

Please accept the reply as solution if it has answered your question. Thank You!

Yes, that's an interesting experiment - thanks for running it.

To clarify, are you a customer or do you represent Microsoft? My main questions were regarding official Microsoft documentation around this topic, which seems to be mising.

Hi @vitaly 
I was working on Fabric from few months from private preview phase. Not a direct MS employee. And for your question I got to know that this behaviour is not documented anywhere but it is the expected one. May be we will get it documented soon. Also you can still call OneLake REST APIs while capacity is paused. You can copy files, list objects etc. That should still work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors