Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Kryt0n
Helper I
Helper I

Cross Workspace access

I'm trying to test out access control so have created some tables in one workspace and I want to try access them from another. I have created the second workspace and my user has permissions to both of these workspaces, however, when trying to query the table, I get "Invalid object name" error.

The first potential source of issue:

We are running on trial, when I created the second workspace and tried to create the lakehouse, it went through a process of create a trial capacity and once done, gives the message "59 days left" whereas our current trial has 47 days left, should they both be on the same "trial capacity" (whatever the correct terminology is there) and, if so, how do I put them to the same capacity?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kryt0n 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.

Currently, directly accessing tables across different workspaces in Microsoft Fabric isn't supported. This means you cannot query a table from one workspace in a notebook or other tool associated with another workspace, even if you have permissions to both.

This limitation exists due to the way Fabric manages data and workspaces. Each workspace acts as a separate container with its own data and configurations. While you can have access to multiple workspaces, data access remains isolated within each workspace.
You cannot directly query the tables from a different workspace. You can however create shortcuts that point to the tables in a different workspace and then query the shortcut.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kryt0n 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.

Currently, directly accessing tables across different workspaces in Microsoft Fabric isn't supported. This means you cannot query a table from one workspace in a notebook or other tool associated with another workspace, even if you have permissions to both.

This limitation exists due to the way Fabric manages data and workspaces. Each workspace acts as a separate container with its own data and configurations. While you can have access to multiple workspaces, data access remains isolated within each workspace.
You cannot directly query the tables from a different workspace. You can however create shortcuts that point to the tables in a different workspace and then query the shortcut.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Yes, I had implemented shortcuts to solve this

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

MayFabricCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.