Frequent Visitor

Re: May 3 announcement FAQ

Hey Power BI people!  I see from the FAQ that 

"Users of the free service with access to dedicated capacity in Power BI Premium will have the ability to receive content distributed to them by Power BI Pro users"

Is that also the case for content distributed by pro users using on-prem analysis services.  In other words, is this also true:

Users of the free service with access to dedicated capacity in on-prem Analysis Services will have the ability to receive content distributed to them by Power BI Pro users

Thanks,

Derek

Power BI Admin

Hey @SourceToShare,

Publishing Power BI reports on-premises with Power BI Report Server requires a Power BI Pro license. Additional per user licenses are not required to consume Power BI reports hosted on Power BI Report Server. You can find more information here

Data for Everyone! We mean it
Frequent Visitor

Hi @MiguelMartinez.  Thanks for taking a stab at my question.  Sorry, I wasn't clear, although that did answer another question I had.  

Anyway, I'm curious if Pro user content can be shared to a free user if the content is using an live Analysis Services instance on-prem (not a PBI Reporting Server). 

Thanks,

Derek

Power BI Admin

Hi again @SourceToShare,

You are more than welcome. We are here to help Smiley Very Happy

Now, if I'm understanding your question correctly, a Power BI Pro user would be able to distribute content - including content using Analysis Services - if the content is published to Power BI Premium capacity workspace and share that with a free user that is also part of that Power BI Premium capacity instance.

That was my complicated version of saying yes, you can Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

What about if I've used "publish to web" to share content (i.e. embedded the report in a webpage). What's the impact on how this now works for both free and pro licenced users?
Power BI Admin

Hi @shanemr18,

Like I told @joshmwolff, users of the free Power BI service will continue to have the ability to use Publish to Web. That means that any reports and embedded codes will still work.

Frequent Visitor

How will these changes impact the incoming "embed to sharepoint" (using the PowerBI Webpart)?
Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

What about the embedded PBI webpart in Sharepoint 'new experience' pages? In the current preview release, all consumers of the page need Pro licenses. Will this feature be Free starting June 1 or still Pro?

About Power BI Premium, I'd like a few clarifications.

• Moving forward Power BI Premium will be the way for us to get Power BI functionality embedded into our SaaS applications, right?
  • I read that Power BI Premium will have support for on-premise gateway, which has been promised for months for Power BI Embedded. I am assuming that while existing Power BI Embedded deployments will keep being supported, this does not mean that will get support for on-premise data, since Microsoft would expect us to move to Power BI Premium.

• I did a calculation using the pricing calculator and the SKU for Power BI Premium starts at ALMOST 5,000 (five thousand) dollars a month -- which is a significant increase (I'd say prohibitive) when comparing to Power BI Embedded.

• So to sum up (and please correct me if I am wrong), for those of us who have been waiting over a year to get Power BI Embedded finally working with on-premise data, am I right to say that if we want such feature moving forward, we will have to get into Power BI Premium paying at least 5,000 (FIVE THOUSAND) dollars a month (give or take)?

Power BI Admin

Hello @pmdci,

Yes, embedding Power BI in apps will be licensed through Power BI Premium moving forward. Support for on-premises data will be available as part of Power BI Premium. Note we will be introducing additional SKUs for Power BI Premium that target embedded scenarios. While we aren’t disclosing details at this time, our approach is to add further pricing flexibility for embedded scenarios based on the needs of organizations building apps and their customers consuming them.