Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sanjana
Frequent Visitor

power bi RLS doesn't render filtered report while using embed token with effective identity

I have ceated a report with RLS and have created a test role, added member and applied DAX filter. While viewing it as test role on power bi desktop it returns the filtered row values but while calling it from application using the embedded token with effective identity it returns the all/complete rows instead of filtered rows. Below is the code for token generation

Report report = client.Reports.GetReportInGroup(groupId, reportId);
                Dataset reportDataset = client.Datasets.GetDatasetByIdInGroup(groupId, report.DatasetId);
                if(reportDataset.IsEffectiveIdentityRolesRequired==true)
                {
                    generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest("view", null, identities: new List<EffectiveIdentity> { new EffectiveIdentity(username: userName, datasets: new List<string> { report.DatasetId }, roles: rolesList) });
                }
                else
                {
                    generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest("view");
                }
                token = await client.Reports.GenerateTokenInGroupAsync(groupId, reportId, new GenerateTokenRequest());
                return token;

Please suggest what should i do to get the filtered row values 

3 REPLIES 3
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Sannjana,

Are your correctly passing the username and roleslist ?

Please include some additional conditions

if (datasets.IsEffectiveIdentityRolesRequired == true)
                    {
                        if (username != null && rolesList != null && rolesList.Count()>0)
                        {
                            generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest("view", null, identities: new List<EffectiveIdentity> { new EffectiveIdentity(username: userName, datasets: new List<string> { report.DatasetId }, roles: rolesList) });
                        }

Also please see the official document reference 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-row-level-security#applying-user-and-ro...

@Jayendran  yes I am passing the username and roleslist, even i have tested with static values for roles and username but the result was the same. The Power BI tenant and Organization tenant I am using are different active directories and I am using Service account for authentication and the username passed is different can this be the issue for it?

Although all the documentation available states that the username and role are mandatory. Is there any roadmap where we can avoid adding members to the roles and only passing role would workout.

Thanks!

Hi @Sanjana 

What do you mean by Organization tenant and PowerBI Tenant are different ?

The Service Account for autentication is for PowerBI Embedded and the username passed for the RLS , so this doesn't cause the issue (Even though it's same or diffferent ,it doesn't matter at all)

For you other question regarding the roles and users, without assigning a specific role to a specific user what will the purpose of RLS ? By keeping only role how could you tell that this role is assigned to this group of members ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.