Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

alohaes
Frequent Visitor

Will PageBookmark property take priority over ExportFilters property?

Hi everyone. I am exporting a powerbi report using exporttofileasync method and passing the captured state of the report and a my list of filters to PageBookmark ExportFilter properties respectively. But, the thing is I need to test if my export filters will apply over the state so while debugging I am changing the export filter to something else(but valid one) then resuming the flow to call the export method from the SDK. And, I don't see my export filter getting reflected on the exported report(on data and visual level both) but only the captured state of the report.

Does the bookmark state take priority over the export filters while exporting a report?

Thanks for the help!

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @alohaes,

Did these filters already saved to the report or only operate on the 'read view' mode report? AFAIK, the export file API will interaction with saved filters.
If these filters are applied on read view mode, I suppose the saved bookmark should has higher priority than these read only mode filters.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi thanks for the reply and sorry for late response. By saved filters I assume you mean the filters that are designed by the report author, if so then yes. The report in question has a date visual which I am trying to apply while exporting the report using DAX. And the bookmark is not saved I guess(I assume you mean the bookmarks made by author himself), I am capturing the state of the report using the capture() from PowerBI JS SDK.

Please let me know if this information relates to your queries or not. Thanks for the help!

HI @alohaes,

AFAIK, Bookmark is used saving specific filter effects, you can use it to quick replace and restored the current filter effect to saved versions.

In addition, if you both use the bookmarks and common filters, the after one effect will override to the previous filter effects.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Even I assumed so and I made a small dummy project to check this out and its working as you mentioned. My filters are applying over the bookmark in the exported report but the weird thing is that in our prod application the same is not happening. The report gets exported with only the captured bookmark state and not our exclusive filters we are passing in the API. Even though the code and logic to capture the bookmark state and exporting the report is same as the POC.

Though, the only difference is that the bookmark state being passed in our prod is first being encoded again into a base-64 string and then decoded back before making the export call. But even that doesn't have any impact on the POC export when I pass the state as hardcoded there.

Is there any other property on PowerBI JS or PowerBI API SDK that we need to set when exporting report so that it takes the export filters over the bookmark state?

Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.