Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lukeh1
Helper I
Helper I

Report Theming

Just reading this..Power BI Desktop project report folder - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Will this give us the ability to encode custom theming in JSON now?

Cheers,

Luke

8 REPLIES 8
Lukeh1
Helper I
Helper I

Hey @v-yiruan-msft, I notice there are a whole bunch of requests in there for the same thing. Does anyone on the product team at ms go through these and aggregate votes? Just wondering if we can give them a push at all as there's clearly appetite for this feature but the requests are are bit disparate in terms of votes per request!

Lukeh1
Helper I
Helper I

Idea raised here. Please upvote to help get this important missing feature set added ASAP! If anyone knows how to add a PBIX to this thread, please let me know and I'll share an example of where we're at Template wise

Lukeh1
Helper I
Helper I

Is there a way to add a PBIX file in this thread?

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Lukeh1 ,

Power BI Desktop does support custom theming through JSON files. You can create a JSON file with your desired color palette and then apply it to your Power BI report.

GitHub/PowerBI-ThemeTemplates: JSON Templates for assembling Power BI Themes

How to Create Custom Power BI Themes: Complete Overview - Windows Report

To apply a custom theme to your report, you can go to the “View” tab in the Power BI Desktop, click on the “Switch Theme” button, and then select “Browse for themes” to import your custom theme file. Once you have imported the theme file, the custom theme will be applied to your report.

Import custom report theme files

vyiruanmsft_0-1711340685204.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-yiruan-msft,

Yes, I have experience of PBIT in Desktop and the associated JSON theme files. Things seem to be moving quite quickly regards the Fabric/Power BI service and I see there are now the following file types:

- PBIP - Project file

- PBIR - Report File

- TMDL format (Or TLDR as we keep calling it!) (And not to be confused with TMSL!)

The PBIT format has always had some disappointing limitations in terms of being tied to desktop. From what we've seen of Fabric, the impetus from MS seems to be to move towards doing everything in the service so seems like a good opportunity to give developers some proper tooling for effective report theming that can be properly source controlled and distributed between teams as per the file types above.

It's all quite new and limited documentation (Particularly for PBIR) so keen to find out more as we are wanting to consolidate our report theming if possible and would be nice to have a way to do this without having to share static PBIT files in the clunky way available in the past!

Cheers,

Luke

Hi @Lukeh1 ,

Your insights into the evolution of Power BI and its file formats are quite impressive! It’s clear that you have a deep understanding of the tool and its potential for improvement, especially in terms of report theming and source control.

Your ideas could be very valuable to the broader Power BI community. I would encourage you to share your thoughts and suggestions on idea forum. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What's more, if feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future. 

Remember, your expertise could help shape the future of Power BI and make it a more effective tool for everyone. Thank you for your dedication to improving the Power BI experience! 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks so much for the feedback! 🙂 Yes, of course, I'll raise it there as it's definitely something I'm interested in. My colleague here has also been looking into making dashboards that offer enhanced user accessbility options but we've hit some barriers again with the standard pbit format. I'll liaise with him and put a suggestion forward soon!

Also, if we have reports published in Fabric/Power BI service, it would be useful to allow downstream users to apply a set of custom themes when they are building content based off of already published semantic models!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.