Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

PowerBI Rest API - Need Help

Hi all,

I created a Dataset and Table using PowerBI Rest API from C# sample program. When I go to my dataset, I see following icons and when I click any one of those (except delete), it give me error. I was expecting that I will able to add some reports using this dataset and then use Rest API to add rows. Am I missing something?

rest.PNG

Icon's image

rest1.PNG

This is the error I get if I click one of those two icons :

Something went wrong, dataset cannot be loaded...

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your reporting, I can reproduce the same behavior. I will report this internally and post back if there comes any update.

Regarding to create a report in Power BI Service with the dataset created via REST API, you can follow.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

So I did some research I found that if dataset is created using REst API , under API access it shows it as PUSH and when you click those icons you get error message.

Whereas if you create streaming dataset, under API access it shows it as "Streaming", and those two icon works. 

I beleieve it is expected behaviour when you create dataset using "Rest API".

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thanks for your reporting, I can reproduce the same behavior. I will report this internally and post back if there comes any update.

Regarding to create a report in Power BI Service with the dataset created via REST API, you can follow.

Capture.PNG

Thanks @Eric_Zhang for your help.

I was able to add a report, now challenge is when I push the data to dataset using Rest API, report doesn't get refreshed by itself? Is it expected behaviour? 

I thought, using Rest API and adding rows to existing dataset will immediately refresh the reports/dashboard, let me know if I'm missing something here.

Thanks,

Parv

I find out that if we have live page pinned to dashboard, pushing the data with Rest API will not update live page but if you have tiles on the dashboard, and these tiles will refresh.

If these kind of details are documented somewhere, will be very helpful for users otherwise you end up spending hours and hours to figure these out.

I'm putting it here so it can help others as well.

Thanks,

P

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.