Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI REST API: Admin - Get Activity Events / error 400

Hello lovely members , 

Currently im working with an Power BI rest API.

i created an application on azure and i set up everything and i was able to use admin API in my script

Unfortunately , when i try to use the "Admin - Get Activity Events" API i have the 400 error. here is my python script : 

Tenant_id = 'Test'
client_id = 'Test'
client_secret = 'Test'

scope = 'https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api/.default'

client_secret_credential_class = ClientSecretCredential(tenant_id=tenant_id, client_id=client_id, client_secret=client_secret)

access_token_class = client_secret_credential_class.get_token(scope)
token_string = access_token_class.token

header = {'Content-Type':'application/json','Authorization': 'Bearer ' + token_string , "Accept": None}
response1 = requests.get('https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/admin/activityevents' , headers = header)

print(response1.status_code)

Any idea ? thanks in advance all 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

First, you need to make sure you have the following required permissions and scopes, and check if you hit any of following limitations.

yingyinr_0-1640311435938.png

After check the above info are OK, please try to update the API with the parameters. In the ActivityEvents REST API call, you must specify a start date and end date and optionally a filter to select activities by activity type or user ID. Because the activity log could contain a large amount of data, the ActivityEvents API currently only supports downloading up to one day of data per request. In other words, the start date and end date must specify the same day, as in the following example. Make sure you specify the DateTime values in UTC format. You can get the details from the following documentation:

ActivityEvents REST API

https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/admin/activityevents?startDateTime='2021-12-21T00:00:00'&endDateTime='2021-12-21T23:59:59'

Finally, check out the solution in the following thread with similar problem to yours, and hopefully it will solve your problem as well.

Error accessing Power BI REST API: Admin - Get Activity Events using Service Principal auth

we had the same issue and after investigations with MS support we found out that the Admin Consent should be removed from the app permissions.  Once removed the 

PowerBINotAuthorizedException

error was gone !

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

First, you need to make sure you have the following required permissions and scopes, and check if you hit any of following limitations.

yingyinr_0-1640311435938.png

After check the above info are OK, please try to update the API with the parameters. In the ActivityEvents REST API call, you must specify a start date and end date and optionally a filter to select activities by activity type or user ID. Because the activity log could contain a large amount of data, the ActivityEvents API currently only supports downloading up to one day of data per request. In other words, the start date and end date must specify the same day, as in the following example. Make sure you specify the DateTime values in UTC format. You can get the details from the following documentation:

ActivityEvents REST API

https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/admin/activityevents?startDateTime='2021-12-21T00:00:00'&endDateTime='2021-12-21T23:59:59'

Finally, check out the solution in the following thread with similar problem to yours, and hopefully it will solve your problem as well.

Error accessing Power BI REST API: Admin - Get Activity Events using Service Principal auth

we had the same issue and after investigations with MS support we found out that the Admin Consent should be removed from the app permissions.  Once removed the 

PowerBINotAuthorizedException

error was gone !

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.