cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sreejith
Frequent Visitor

How to define Table DataViewMappings

Hi,

I want to make a custom visual with just two columns, one for text and other for a link button.

Ho can I define the dataview model.? I couldnot find any doc that defines a dataview for Table like one for Categorical

dataViewMappings: [{
                             categorical(Table?): {
                                            categories: {
                                                              for: { in: 'Category' },
                                                                          dataReductionAlgorithm: { top: {} }
                                                                        },
                                                             values: {
                                                           select: [{ bind: { to: 'Message' } }]
                                                                },
                                              }
                                  }],

How can I achieve this?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

Basically, if your dataRoles array is defined as follows:

dataRoles: [
	{
		displayName: 'Title',
		name: 'title',
		kind: powerbi.VisualDataRoleKind.Grouping
	},
	{
		displayName: 'Url',
		name: 'url',
	}
]

Then your dataViewMappings array should look like this(I omitted the conditions[] array for clarity):

table: {
        rows: {
            select: [{for: { in: 'title' }},{for: { in: 'url' }}]
        }
    }
}]

The above will result in:

1. There will be two field wells displayed in Power BI, titled "Title" and "Url".

2. Your dataViews[index] object will have the following properties(among others...):

• dataViews[index].table.columns[] array, which will contain that will contain some metadata about each column.
  • dataViews[index].table.rows[] array, which will contain arrays with values corresponding to the column indices.
  • dataViews[index].table.identities[] array, which will contain DataViewScopeIdentity objects corresponding to row numbers.
  • dataViews[index].table.identityFields[] array, which will contain the identityFields for each column.

Note that while the "columns" property is belongs to the table object, the other three are actually in its prototype.

A personal recommendation would be to log the dataView to the console and go through it yourself, and maybe play with the different mapping options. It's currently the best way I know to understand how these things work(Due to lack of documentation).

Also, note that you cannot have link buttons inside Power BI visuals. This is a security measure(called Sandboxing) taken by Microsoft, since it can be used to perform various malicious actions, such as Clickjacking and Cross-Site Scripting attacks, which is not something you want to be possible anywhere near your precious confidential corporate data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

Basically, if your dataRoles array is defined as follows:

dataRoles: [
	{
		displayName: 'Title',
		name: 'title',
	},
	{
		displayName: 'Url',
		name: 'url',
	}
]

Then your dataViewMappings array should look like this(I omitted the conditions[] array for clarity):

table: {
        rows: {
            select: [{for: { in: 'title' }},{for: { in: 'url' }}]
        }
    }
}]

The above will result in:

1. There will be two field wells displayed in Power BI, titled "Title" and "Url".

2. Your dataViews[index] object will have the following properties(among others...):

• dataViews[index].table.columns[] array, which will contain that will contain some metadata about each column.
  • dataViews[index].table.rows[] array, which will contain arrays with values corresponding to the column indices.
  • dataViews[index].table.identities[] array, which will contain DataViewScopeIdentity objects corresponding to row numbers.
  • dataViews[index].table.identityFields[] array, which will contain the identityFields for each column.

Note that while the "columns" property is belongs to the table object, the other three are actually in its prototype.

A personal recommendation would be to log the dataView to the console and go through it yourself, and maybe play with the different mapping options. It's currently the best way I know to understand how these things work(Due to lack of documentation).

Also, note that you cannot have link buttons inside Power BI visuals. This is a security measure(called Sandboxing) taken by Microsoft, since it can be used to perform various malicious actions, such as Clickjacking and Cross-Site Scripting attacks, which is not something you want to be possible anywhere near your precious confidential corporate data.

View solution in original post

Greg_Deckler
Super User IV
Super User IV

I am not aware of a way to have a link button in a visual currently.

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@Greg_Deckler I could create a link button using SVG and on click it was redirecting.

this.htmlContents = d3.select(options.element.get(0)).append("svg")

.attr("width",400)   

.attr("height", 200);

this.htmlContents.append("a").attr("xlink:href", "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/")

.append("rect") 

.attr("x", 100)

.attr("y", 50)

.attr("height", 100)

.attr("width", 200)

.style("fill", "lightgreen")

.attr("rx", 10)

.attr("ry", 10);

this.htmlContents.append("text")

.attr("x", 200)

.attr("y", 100)

.style("fill", "black")

.style("font-size", "20px")

.attr("dy", ".35em")

.attr("text-anchor", "middle")

.style("pointer-events", "none")

.text("Resolve");

But when I added the same to a table cell, errror occurs "Refused to display "https://app/powerbi.com/www/wiki.org" in a frame because it set X-Frame-Opttions to deny

XFrame error.png"

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

July 2021 Update 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp 768x460.png

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp

Dont miss our very own April Dunnam’s The Developer Guide to the Galaxy! Find out what the Power Platform has to offer for the traditional developer.

Top Solution Authors