Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ChayaL

Custom visual to get data from other visuals

I'm trying to write a custom visual which will export the data of all the other visuals in the report as well as the filter selection. I can't find a way to get information from the other visuals. Is there a way to do this?

I am currently doing something similar with an embedded report by calling

report = powerbi.get(embedContainer);

pages = await report.getPages();

and then looping through the pages and their visuals and calling

visuals[i].exportData();

I would like to be able to do this from a visual within the report so I don't need to embed the report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @ChayaL,

What you are looking to do will not be possible to solve with custom visuals. The approach you're using with embedding is the "correct" way to approach what you're doing.

For security reasons, custom visuals cannot communicate (or even know about) other visuals on the same page, or other report assets such as the data model. They are only permitted to access the data that Power BI gives them (i.e., what columns and measures the creator supplied to make the visual dataset, or any measures used for conditional formatting). 

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
S19K15

I was looking exacly the same theese days, so I can create a ChatGPT visual to get data insights into the same report or page. I also tried the same code of PowerBI embeded during my trials inside custom visuals but it did't work. Based also on Daniel's awnser seems imposible though the custom visual to get out of visual scope and retrive data from page or report scope level.

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @ChayaL,

What you are looking to do will not be possible to solve with custom visuals. The approach you're using with embedding is the "correct" way to approach what you're doing.

For security reasons, custom visuals cannot communicate (or even know about) other visuals on the same page, or other report assets such as the data model. They are only permitted to access the data that Power BI gives them (i.e., what columns and measures the creator supplied to make the visual dataset, or any measures used for conditional formatting). 

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Thank you for the explanation!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.