Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JohnStraumann15

Custom Maps?

Hello all:

Is it possible to embed a custom map into Power BI, define areas, and then when an area is clicked on, show all the items within that area? For example in the attachment I grabbed a map of Disney, and when Dinoland is clicked, it outlines in green (so those boundaries would need to be defined), and then a grid would show all the rides in the defined area? Note I am not actually using this map, it was just a good example with nicely defined areas!

Thanks for any and all input.

John.Disney2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JohnStraumann15 Well, the basics of Shape map are here: Use Shape maps in Power BI Desktop (Preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

How To Create Custom Shape Maps for Power BI — DiscoverEI

Note that this visual has been in "Preview" for years. You would need to create your own custom TopoJSON shape map. Another potential option is the Visio custom visual.

Another crazy idea would be to use the image as a background or use insert image. Then place rectangles with no fill and no border over the parts of interest. Configure a bookmark for each. Make the Action for each rectangle be the corresponding bookmark. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JohnStraumann15 Shape map

Latest book!:

Thanks @Greg_Deckler Do you know of any good step-by-step tutorials? Do you cover this in your book, if so, I'll buy it!

@JohnStraumann15 Well, the basics of Shape map are here: Use Shape maps in Power BI Desktop (Preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

How To Create Custom Shape Maps for Power BI — DiscoverEI

Note that this visual has been in "Preview" for years. You would need to create your own custom TopoJSON shape map. Another potential option is the Visio custom visual.

Another crazy idea would be to use the image as a background or use insert image. Then place rectangles with no fill and no border over the parts of interest. Configure a bookmark for each. Make the Action for each rectangle be the corresponding bookmark. 

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.