Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

diego_fp97

Can't get microsoft 365 tenant users metadata (PBI Service - Microsoft Graph)

Hi! I have been struggling for days with this, let me give you some backstory:

My stakeholder needs to use Microsoft Planner to assign tasks to his work team. Okay, nothing unsual here, but, he also asks me a gantt diagram near real time of the tasks assigned, this is because his team is constanly working in the release of new products in the company and he wants to see the calendar with the workload of each member for each product to release.

So, for them is a task, but each product to release is actually a project with start datetime and due datetime (they don't want to use MS Project, to get the gantt diagram).

I thought, okay lets use MS Graph APIs to get the MS Planner data, put it into a Dataflow in PBI Service, pull the data to build a gantt chart in PBI Desktop, upload the report to the PBI Service and them embed it in MS Teams.

So in theory, it has to work, here the steps i need to do: (btw this is a sandbox tenant and i'm global admin)

1. Give MS Graph the corresponding authorization (Got it)
2. Get the MS Graph JSON link (Got it)
3. Upload the JSON file in a Dataflow in PBI Service (Here is the problem)
4. ETL (Can't do it untill 3 is completed)
5. Build the Gantt diagram with the data on PBI Desktop (Can't do it untill 4 is completed but i planned on use this video as reference https://youtu.be/sViysQrOQPk)
6. Upload the Gantt diagram report to PBI Service (Can't do it untill 5 is completed)

7. Embed Gantt diagram report in MS Teams (Can't do it untill 6 is completed)

All fine with the planner data, but when i was getting all the data i needed from the MS Graph APIs i stumbled with the fact that i need the Users metadata from my tenant to get the real names of the members assigned to a task, MS Planner data only gave me the User ID.

diego_fp97_2-1669391690617.png

So i try to get it with this link generated in MS Graph:

https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/users

But, when i try to connect my table to that link, i just can't, it doesn't let me connect to my organizational account.

diego_fp97_3-1669391997595.png

I thought it may be because the MFA but then, why can i get the MS Planner data?

As you can see, i don't have any issue connecting to MS Planner data

diego_fp97_4-1669392169719.png

Please help me 😞

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Bubble_BI
Regular Visitor

Hi @diego_fp97 ,

One of the following permissions is required to access user operations. The first three permissions can be granted to an app by a user. The rest can only be granted to an app by the administrator.

• User.ReadBasic.All
  • User.Read
  • User.ReadWrite
  • User.Read.All
  • User.ReadWrite.All
  • Directory.Read.All
  • Directory.ReadWrite.All
  • Directory.AccessAsUser.All

In addition to the required permissions, the user operations that the calling user can perform are bounded to the privileges granted to the calling user via specific Azure AD roles. For more information, see the Who can reset passwords? and Who can update sensitive attributes? sections.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.