Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

xembledev
Advocate I
Advocate I

Advice on determining the best strategy (on using two sources of information)

Hello. I will be constructing a new sales report. The source information is on Business Central (Dynamics 365 Online). This data is let's say from 2020-present time. To pull the information, I've built a dataflow (odata connector) to extract that information from this web endpoint. Additionally, there is more information housed in an in-house data warehouse, that has orders prior to 2020 (let's say 2016-2019), that were once in Great Plains but now they are frozen in that SQL server. These two structures might be similar and have the same characteristics, but are not the same. My plan is to merge "old frozen data" with the "new live data", and create my report so it can be seamlessly if they access 2017 or 2022 data.

The first approach I have tried was put everything into dataflows. Pull from that odata and try pulling from Analysis Services, but there is no support as this is on-premise, and I had to install data gateways and the security is a concern. Second approach was Import Data from SSAS, then with this dataset, try to combine; but this strategy of using this direct live connection is based on previews so I am not sure.

What you guys think would be better suited for this ?

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have you considered putting your data in SQL Server instead?  That gives you the advantage of import mode AND the option to set up incremental refresh so your Power BI dataset has optimum performance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.