Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sashasneg3
Frequent Visitor

xIRR on yearly hierarchical data - how to?

Hi all,

I would really appreciate any advice on this. 

I have a 3 level hierarchy (Scenario - Intervention - Location), I have a column with years, I have a column with investments (in different years there's an investment happening and after that there are annual returns, all in one column). 

I want to make a matrix table visual with 3 level hierarchy and an IRR column with values. As everyone knows, SUM of IRRs for all locations for 1 scenario and 1 initiative won't give me the real total IRR in this case. There needs to be a measure. 

Obviously, the usual formula does not work for me (xIRR). I tried calculate IRR with ALLEXCEPT but did not get the result. Any help would be appreciated... I feel like this formula should be a monster one and I just don't have knowledge about how to build it 😞 

My data looks like this: 

Per each scenario (I have 3) there are several interventions (3-5), for each intervention there are 10 locations. Years are between 2019 and 2030 but investments happen on different years per intervention. 

ScenarioInterventionLocationYearInvestment
1AQ2015-10000
1AQ20162000
1AQ20172500
1BW2016-20000
1BW20174500
2CR2018-4000
2CR20193000

Thanks a lot,

Aleksandra

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sashasneg3 ,

From your description, I could not understand an IRR column with values

Could you please offer me more information about how the logic to calcualte this column?

And could you please post your desired result if possible?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-danhe-msft 

Hi Daniel, 

Sorry for my language 🙂 I meant IRR column with ... IRR numbers. Here's a desired result: 

A Matrix: 

Hierarchy (Scenario - Int - Location)    |  IRR 

Scenario 1                                               14%

Intervention A                          10%

Location Q                -0.3%

Location W                 1%

Scenario 2 ....                                             ....

The logic is :  IRR =  xIRR(TableName, [Investment], [Year]) but because of the hierarchy and maybe because my dates are years only - the formula does not work.

Thanks for any help,

Aleksandra

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.