Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marma330
Helper I
Helper I

web power bi

Hi,

I am applying for BI jobs, and one position sent me a test and asked: “use Google Data Studio, Tableau or any dashboarding tool (that provides online access) to query the data and plot graphs…”

I have a 2012 MacBook air with only 4GB of ram, so I don’t think downloading power bi is an option… Is there a fully web-based version of power bi?

(I was given an IP to access a postgres backend).

ps: in the past I used desktop power bi, but it was paid by the company I worked for.

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@marma330 , As of now development has to be done on desktop edition only.

Once published you can analyze the web.  And do some modification

Can I run deskopt power bi on my  2012 MacBook air with only 4GB of ram?

Yes you can, it will probably work just fine with smaller data sets. 

I dont believe the company send you millions of rows. Goodluck on getting the job! 😄

Quality over Quantity

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Apparently power bi can only be installed on windows... I don't have windows on my mac...

I understand its doable, but how? do I have to install a vm, install windows and then install power bi? I was hoping to get some sort of free trial...

Yes, Sorry, i assumed you did have a VM installed with Power BI on a windows machine. 

Power BI can not run on a mac device and the devs do not plan on making so anytime soon. 

image.png

Quality over Quantity

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.