Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lucyf

space as separator 1000 / thousands

I have a column "id" where there are no unique values, there is a number 11 characters long as text because I need to use it as count(distinct) = count ids. The result is a number that has no space as a separator 1000 (### ###), is it possible to solve this? I am begginer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Once more Hi Rongtie,

probably I have easier solution and new measure 

CountUnique = COUNTAX(VALUES(Sheet1[id]), 1)
It counts each first number and it is number, so I can format it 🙂 
I am begginer and I don´t know very much DAX 🙂
Thank you for you help 🙂 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lucyf

Hi Rongtie,

It is not my issue. My english is not very strong, but I will try to explain it better.

I have columned named „id“, which represents the accident number.  However there can be two or three persons in one accident, so „id“ is not unique. „id“ contains 11-digital number with a text data type.

I´d like to create a visualization where I count the number of accidents without duplicates. I input the „id“ into the visualization, change the field to count (distinct) and this number doesn´t have space between 1000. And my question is: It is possible change this number with space? I don´t think so.

But now I have an idea, to create new column, where there is a „1“ for the first accident number, and „0“ for other same accident numbers, than the result will be number and I can format it as number with space, it is not problem.

But I will need to come up with the DAX formula for this, I hope it  is possible 😊

PS: Is it clear or shall I prepare pbix file? Lucy

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lucyf ,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with Power BI. If I understand correctly, you have a column with ID values that are 11 characters long, and you would like to format these numbers to include a space as a thousands separator. Here's how you can achieve this in Power BI:

Formatted ID = FORMAT(VALUE([ID]), "## ### ### ###")

Replace [ID] with the actual name of your column. This formula converts the text to a number using VALUE and then formats it with spaces as thousands separators using FORMAT.

Press Enter to create the column.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Once more Hi Rongtie,

probably I have easier solution and new measure 

CountUnique = COUNTAX(VALUES(Sheet1[id]), 1)
It counts each first number and it is number, so I can format it 🙂 
I am begginer and I don´t know very much DAX 🙂
Thank you for you help 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.