Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

VV24
Helper III
Helper III

relation from powerbi desktop model not used in report builder

Dear all,

I have made two tables in my powerbi data model and

table 1:

IDCompany Name

A

2B

table 2:

IDProduct
1AA
2BB
1CC

there is a relationship 

between de IDs. so in powerbi I get a table returned like this:

CompanyProduct
AAA
ACC
BBB

But in the query designer from the report builder this is returned:

CompanyProduct
AAA
BAA
ABB
BBB
ACC
BCC

Which from a powerbi desktop side looks like there is no relation anymore between these tables. How will this properly work? Both fields are dimensions.

Best

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VV24 you need to add a measure to make it work, I recently talked about this in a meetup, you can check the video here.

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VV24 yes will find out but I Power BI desktop is smart enough to generate the query and add a measure to get the result whereas the report builder is not. but to your point, yes, if it is one to many relationships, it should just list respective records from the child table. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VV24 yes, it doesn't matter, it will still return a cartesian result even if there is a relationship. As suggested previously, drop columns in the table visual in Power BI desktop and get the query from the performance analyzer, and if you look at the query, it does add countrows measure internally and that's why it works in Power BI desktop, not in Report builder. You can take this query and use it in report builder and everything will work. 

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

@parry2k thanks, will do that, still keeps my sitting with the question why?? haha, there must be some logic or explanation why this is not working. Solving is done now 😉

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VV24 exactly. hmmm I think the first few minutes when I try to show how to list product and customers and it gives the cartesian result and how to overcome this.

One thing you can do is put this in Power BI in a table, thru the performance analyzer grab the DAX query, and then use that query in report builder. That will do it.

@parry2k 

the difference between your video and my example is that you will never get the result (in power bi desktop) between customer and product because there is no relation between these tables due to the filter directions. In my example I do have a direct relation between these two tables and still this does not work. I dont have a cartesian result in Power BI desktop but I do have this in the Report Builder

VV24
Helper III
Helper III

@parry2k 

Why is there a difference then? I saw it worked with a measure, is there always some kind of aggregation needed?

what if the result shoudl be two dimensions? Do you always need to add an aggregation?

any specific time you talk about this in your video?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VV24 you need to add a measure to make it work, I recently talked about this in a meetup, you can check the video here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.