Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

"something went wrong" (horribly, losing a lot of work here)

Obviously this happens a lot. Rather than recreating my report from scratch and LOSING all of my work...

Should I wait and try again tomorrow? (this appears to be one common recommendation)
Do I send someone my 153-line error message? 
Is the latest version of PBI desktop a bad build, and should I wait until a new build is issued? (I have a few days)

I can view the report just fine in the service. If I 'download report (preview)' what I'm seeing in the service, I get the same "something went wrong", and the report will not load.

What other information can I provide? 

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @joglidden2,

What type of operations are you worked when the error messages appear? It will help if you share the detailed error logs. (They may be caused by your operations or device environments.)

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

In addition, have your check the limitations of download report features. These may also cause the issue when your scenario meets the limitations.

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop (Preview)#considerations-and-trouble... 
Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Xiaoxin, thanks for the reply. It has not happened again. I re-installed PBI and rebooted. Then next day I was not having the problem, so my suspicion is it was a PBI server somewhere, possibly Azure. Once it happens again, I'll post the error log. Also, thanks for the links. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@joglidden2 , I do not see an error log with this post. In case you posted on another topic share link.

You can log and issue: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Also, check are there know the issues at:https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/, Or log a support ticket

@amitchandak , thanks for the reply. The issue appears to have resolved itself, and now the report loads and renders. It must have been an issue with a Microsoft PBI server, where PBI desktop needs to communicate in order to work properly. 

Are you suggesting that error log indicates what and where the problem is? 

Also, is there a PBI website somewhere that indicates the health of servers and server operation? I can do this with Azure. 

And it's doing it again. I'm beginning to think a re-install of PBI is in order. It appears to occur more frequently when I attempt to open a second instance of PBI Desktop. This makes me think there are memory-management issues with the code (something Microsoft is infamous for). Def gonna do a re-install. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.