Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hermes
Helper I
Helper I

"fact table" as dimension table ?

Hi there,

I've got standard star schema model, but I need to add to it another dimension table, that store customer product codes (code of sold products recognised by customers in their own systems).

1.PNG

Table has it own unique ID (I've ommited it here), product ID, customer ID and product code itself. 

2.PNG

I want to be able to see codes and use them as filters in pivot table, yet the results of attaching them to star schema is kinda obvious (and bad). 

3.PNG

Could you please suggest to me how to go about modeling so I can use those codes in pivot table field and still get proper values for calculations?

I've attached simpliefied model - https://we.tl/t-jW3vyQAXYG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Hermes 

You may use LOOKUPVALUE to add calculated columns directly.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Please find link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jgscauytkfr440/starSchema.pbix?dl=0

Done some changes to create the model.

Thand you very much, but I'm afraid it does not work precisely as intended, because if products for given customer and transaction does not have their own code (as they ofted does), there is no link between fact table and dim's (shown below). I'd like to not use method of creating artificial ID you suggested if possible, i.e. does not use this method plus secondary relationship with USERELATIONSHIP.

1.PNG

@Hermes 

You may use LOOKUPVALUE to add calculated columns directly.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.