Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

FValluch

"Average" methodology in power BI

Hello, 

could you please explain to my, how visual "Metrix" is using calculation of Total? 

FValluch_0-1704362632461.png

As you can see on my very easy sheet, there is average of days count based on quartals, but I dont understand the total column: 

First row: (31,06 + 39,21 + 28,97 + 31,84/4 = 32,77). In Total I can see 33,04(which is average as well, right?)  But If I download all the data based on quartals or total for whole year, numbers are correct. 

What is the methodology of total column? Or any idea please? 

FValluch_1-1704362670655.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FValluch ,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your problem. Base on your description, it seems that you have some doubts on the total values of matrix visual. You can get the details about the total values calculation in the following documentation.

Create a matrix visual in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

For total and subtotal rows, Power BI evaluates the measure over all rows in the underlying data – it isn't just a simple addition of the values in the visible or displayed rows. This means you can end up with different values in the total row than you might expect.

In order to get a cause of your problem and give you a suitable solution base on your scenario, could you

please provide some raw data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format, your matrix Fields settings and your expected result with special examples and screenshots? It would be helpful to find out the solution. You can refer the following link to share the required info:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

And It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FValluch

Hello, 

explanations on the beggining is enough for me, I fully understand, because if I do an average under all over the rows the result is same(correct). I did cross check. 

Many thanks. 

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FValluch ,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your problem. Base on your description, it seems that you have some doubts on the total values of matrix visual. You can get the details about the total values calculation in the following documentation.

Create a matrix visual in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

For total and subtotal rows, Power BI evaluates the measure over all rows in the underlying data – it isn't just a simple addition of the values in the visible or displayed rows. This means you can end up with different values in the total row than you might expect.

In order to get a cause of your problem and give you a suitable solution base on your scenario, could you

please provide some raw data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format, your matrix Fields settings and your expected result with special examples and screenshots? It would be helpful to find out the solution. You can refer the following link to share the required info:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

And It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.