Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shoemaker27
Frequent Visitor

question about choosing best option for a power BI report that is growing too fast

Hi, all, I wanted to know your different opinions for a case like Im having now, I have a PBI Report, that in number of tables, relations, measures and so on, is growing too fast, the problem is not the volume of the data, but the model itself.

Wich would be the "natural" or better way to evolve a power BI Model/Report that is being developed in a PBIX file with the power BI desktop?

Migrate to Azure SSAS? with the new "Fabric" ecosystem, will be new ways to improve/escalate to better architecture for developing complex models?

thanks a lot for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @shoemaker27 , 

the Best practice is to use the star schema data Model, check it out here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema

it gives the best performance for your report.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

hi!, of course, Im using Star data modeling, Im looking for wich is the best option when power BI desktop is not a good choice because the complexity of the model, and also to work with other developers at the same time.

thanks!

Hello @shoemaker27 ,

you could always use power bi, but use it more as a data visualisation tool and do the transformation in the source like in SQL, in this way you remove the pressure from Power BI.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

hi, the problem is not the transformation, because we do a lot of transformations in power query, and also we need the semantic DAX model on top of the data model, the question is, if will be better to migrate the project to azure SSAS, or if the new "fabric" ecosystem brings new ways of design and work with large models.

thanks

Hello @shoemaker27 ,

yes, the new microsoft fabric will make it easier when working with huge datasets, it's like a combination of import mode and direct query where you can see live data with fast load.

check this video out to learn more about it https://youtu.be/fvuL8Nk_gxU

Follow me on Linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.