Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

lookup value based on measure

hello,

I have a measure in a table which is working great, now based on that measure, I want to look up value in another table. How I can do this?

Assume my measure value is 1 to 100 and there is another table, let's call it "lookup table" which has id from 1 to 100 and description 

So I want to look my measure in this "lookup table", id field, and get description.

Thanks in advance.

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@parry2k,

You can create the calculated column in your original  table using DAX below. Please note that there is no relationship between the lookup table and original table.

Column = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(lookup[description],""),FILTER(lookup,lookup[id]=[Measure]))

If the above dax doesn't solve your issue, please share sample data of your table for us to analyze.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the reply and unfortunately solution you provided is not working. here are more details. 

Here is one of the measure which I'm using to get factor from a non relation table and it is working fine

Factor = 
var myTotalPoints = [Total Points]

return
CALCULATE
(
	VALUES('Score Point'[Factor]), 
	FILTER
	('Score Point', 
		'Score Point'[Measure] = "Factor" &&
		myTotalPoints >= 'Score Point'[Start Range] && 
		myTotalPoints <= 'Score Point'[End Range]
	)
)

here is the screen shot of "Factor" measure from above DAX

factor.PNG

Now based on this "Factor" measure I want to create a calculated column to get value from another non-related table, reason I need calculated column, becuase I want to categorize it as a "image url" to show the image for each "Factor". 

So I added new calculated column called "Image" with following DAX and getting same value for each "Factor", here is dax for "image 1" column

image 1 = 
CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Images[Image 1],""),FILTER(Images,Images[Factor]=[Factor]))

and I tried the same with measure and it worked but I cannot change the category for a measure

here is DAX for measure 

measure = if( [Factor] = BLANK(), "Blank", LOOKUPVALUE(Images[Image 1],Images[Factor],[Factor]))

now if you see the result for "image 1" which si calculated column and "measure" which is a measure, for "image 1" i'm getting the same value but for "measure" i'm getting correct value, screen shot  below

factor1.PNG

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I've the same problem, the measure gets a image url but I cannot assign the "Data Category" to it and I cannot view the image.

Some suggestions.

Ramon

Anonymous
Not applicable

Me tree. Really need some excel type kpi icons/indicators.

@parry2k,

Could you please share sample data of these tables so that I can test?

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

Just to add more details, i know how to do the lookup, if I add a new measure with lookup, it works but for the returned measure I cannot change the "Data Category" and my original question was to add as a column so that I can change the "Data Category" since you cannot change category for a measure.

Can you share the measure Definition

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.