Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

joining ssas tabular model and relational data (or anything) in visuals

Hi, i just read in Teo's book what i was hoping wouldnt be true about PBI.  Its on pg 137 in his 4th edition of Power BI.  I believe what he is saying is that since there is no Power Query in the picture when connecting to ssas, relationships arent possible.

so what do folks do when they want to relate their tabular model to other data to create a pbi model?

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @db042190 ,

Hi, i just read in Teo's book what i was hoping wouldnt be true about PBI.  Its on pg 137 in his 4th edition of Power BI.  I believe what he is saying is that since there is no Power Query in the picture when connecting to ssas, relationships arent possible.

As when you connect to ssas by live connection. Power bi desktop is just a model layer. So in this scenario, we cannot edit the model. For more details, please check the online document. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-ssas-multidimensional

so what do folks do when they want to relate their tabular model to other data to create a pbi model?

You can come up a new idea about that and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

thx. will I have the ability to import it instead of connect live? 

and then relate the imported item to other items?  

or issue my own query to it in perhaps dax or openquery?  Thereby opening up the possibility of reltionships to other data only when necessary?

I'm just getting started and am focused first on an overview before trying different things out.

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

i just played a bit with desktop's navigator etc.  short of a problem i posted separately in this forum about desktop not seeing existing tabular table relationships (thereby forcing me to use a dax query) when importing ssas tabular, it seems that desktop does allow pbi relationships on tabular model data to other sources if the ssas data is imported.

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

correction to "thereby forcing me to use a dax query",   I learned that is only true if i havent selected (or dont have) any calc'd measures.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.