Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RoxanaZaharia
Helper I
Helper I

how can i solve this?

Hello! I am working with this data set for my first project: https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/krishd123/olympics-legacy-1896-2020 , and I am trying to show the events that had people winning the same type of medals (as an example, TAMBERI Gianmarco and BARSHIM Mutaz Essa in Tokyo 2020 when they both won the gold medal). What is the best way to solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you really want to do that you'll have to create a calculated column or measure in which you have to manually configure what is single vs. team; this means going through over 1000 events. Keep in mind that you have teams ranging from 2 (like tennis or other doubles) to 24 people per team (like baseball). You could actually be safe(er) if you go the other way around: instead of going through every event and understand if that event is single person or multi-person you could consider all 1's as single medals and >2 as teams (see screenshot).

Then you can use the new column/measurein subsequent calculations for the purpose you need. (the screenshot is a snippet of Gold medals in 2000)

Olympic.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MNedix
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

As a rule of thumb, you must be clearer with your request, as in what are you actually trying to achieve, what is the envisioned result and what did you do so far to get there.

From what you just described, you could just do a slicer and put Medal in it; this way you can easily select the medals you are interested in. However, you will have a Blank in there because that's how your data is. To mitigate the Blank, you can fill the blanks with something like "No medal" from the query itself (via Replace Values).

Screenshot 2024-03-17 181509.jpgScreenshot 2024-03-17 181632.jpg

Last but not least, if you really want to be picky, you can create an additional table with the Medals and the desired order, create a relationship between the new table and the main table (at Medal level), replace the Medal in the above filter with the new one and order it the way you designed it (e.g. see below)

Screenshot 2024-03-17 182145.jpg

Hello @MNedix, thank you for your help and sorry for any confusion.

The way I approached this was to count the names that won the gold, silver, and bronze medals for each competition in a given year and season. If the result is greater than 1, it indicates that multiple medals have been won. I then use this measure as a filter on a visual, so it only displays results from competitions where this has occurred. I've tried to visualize it in a table visualization, but it doesn't give me the result I want. It shows the event and the number of gold medals (for example) that have been won in general for that event. However, I want to see those exceptional cases when two or more participants are awarded the same medal at the same event, in the same season, and in the same year and I don't know how to do that.

It's gonna be a bummer given the sheer size of data. For example, in 2000 you have 2004 medals across 300 events, out of which Gold was 663 alone. From there, you can exclude the events with 1 gold medal but then you have a gray area where you had one team but multiple persons, like Tennis Men's Doubles. How do you want to count those: one medal or two? What about 4x100 Relay events?

@MNedix 
For multiple persons, like Tennis Men's Doubles and Relay events i want it to count as one medal per team. 

If you really want to do that you'll have to create a calculated column or measure in which you have to manually configure what is single vs. team; this means going through over 1000 events. Keep in mind that you have teams ranging from 2 (like tennis or other doubles) to 24 people per team (like baseball). You could actually be safe(er) if you go the other way around: instead of going through every event and understand if that event is single person or multi-person you could consider all 1's as single medals and >2 as teams (see screenshot).

Then you can use the new column/measurein subsequent calculations for the purpose you need. (the screenshot is a snippet of Gold medals in 2000)

Olympic.jpg

Thank you so much for your help and for taking the time to respond! 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The dataset requires a login for download.

This would be the dataset that I am working with:

RoxanaZaharia_0-1710689079580.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.