Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Fro88er
Helper IV
Helper IV

flip negative number to positive ONLY for total

I am trying to calculate the [Retention %], the monthly numbers are accurate however the total is flipped to - negative.  How do I fix this?  I have tried other solutions on the community board, and got the same results. Seems so simple, tried so many different solutions with no avail. Thanks in advance.

Result needed: -32.7% to be 32.7% and all monthly calcs to also be positive.

Retention % Net =
VAR _RenentionVar =
([Hires] + [Opening Headcount])
Return
DIVIDE([Terms], _RenentionVar, 0)

Retention % =
VAR _HasOneValue =
IF(HASONEVALUE('FactMonth End HC'[Report Pulled On]), 1, BLANK())
Return
CALCULATE([Retention % Net] - _HasOneValue) * -1

Retention Help.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

According to your description and sample picture, I think you can try the ABS() function in DAX to return the absolute value in the measure, you can try to transform the DAX formula like this:

Retention % =

VAR _HasOneValue =

Return

ABS(CALCULATE([Retention % Net] - _HasOneValue))

And you can get what you want.

If you still have a problem, you can post some sample data(without sensitive data) and your expected result.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

According to your description and sample picture, I think you can try the ABS() function in DAX to return the absolute value in the measure, you can try to transform the DAX formula like this:

Retention % =

VAR _HasOneValue =

Return

ABS(CALCULATE([Retention % Net] - _HasOneValue))

And you can get what you want.

If you still have a problem, you can post some sample data(without sensitive data) and your expected result.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I figured out a simpler solution by just adding a 1- infont of my meaure. Thanks for your help.

Retention % = CALCULATE(1- [Retention % Net])

Attrition HelpSolution.JPG

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Fro88er what you are trying to do with this logic? IF(HASONEVALUE('FactMonth End HC'[Report Pulled On]), 1, BLANK()) 

In the total column, it will return blank() and then your CALCULATE([Retention % Net] - _HasOneValue)  will return a positive value and you are multiplying with -1, which is making it negative.

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.