Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vinaychinnapp

filtering using values from multiple column

Hi All,

I have four columns "Managing Region", "Delivery Region", "Managing Country" and "Delivery Country".

Filter 1 : i want the user to get option to choose the view of the report with either by "managing Region" or "Delivery Region"

Filter 2 : if the user clicks on "Managing Region" in filter 1, then filter 2 should get values populated from "Managing region" Column else the value should be from "Delivery Region"

Filter 3 : If user clicks on "Managin Region" in filter 1, then filter 3 should have countries listed in "Managing country" columns , if the user click on "delivery region" in filter 1 then values in filter 3 should be populated from "Delivery country" column.

can any one help me the steps to achieve this task ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vinaychinnapp,

You would need to implement some steps in query editor to achieve the above requirement: remove duplicates ,duplicate the query, remove different columns in the two tables, unpivot columns in the two tables, append query. For more details, please review this PBIX file.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@vinaychinnapp,

Could you please share sample data of your table?

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for you reply. below is the sample data with four columns. 

Managing RegionManaging CountryDelivery RegionDelivery Country
APACIndiaAPACIndia
AMERICASUSAMERICASCosta Rica
APACIndiaAPACIndia
APACIndiaAPACIndia
APACIndiaAPACIndia
APACIndiaAPACIndia

@vinaychinnapp,

If you only have the four columns in table with above sample data, when you create a table visual in Power BI, Power BI will remove duplicates and will only show you two rows as follows.
1.PNG

What data would you like to show if you select APAC in “Managing Region” column?

Regards,

Capture.PNGI want to see the report this way. i want a first slider to have 2 optiions. if user clicks on Managing region then slider Region should get values populated from managing region column else calues shoud get populated from delivery region column.

same way for country.

@vinaychinnapp,

You would need to implement some steps in query editor to achieve the above requirement: remove duplicates ,duplicate the query, remove different columns in the two tables, unpivot columns in the two tables, append query. For more details, please review this PBIX file.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia

opticshrew
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi there,

I would use the in built slicer visual along with the edit interactions function. This should get what your going for.

Thanks,

J

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.