Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

export csv from matrix or table does not match the number from Power BI

Hi Community,

I have two tables, table A and table B joined by a field called ID (exist in both tables). The relationship from A to B is a 1 to many join, by-directional. I have a measure called M_count. M_count is just a distinct count of field "testID" in table B. Field "testID" contains non-unique values, i.e. we could have two testID = 123 etc.

Now that I want to show the measure in a matrix with rows in postcode (from table a) and columns in dates( from table b) and M_count as my measure. The matrix seems fine in the power BI. However, when I export it use the export data feature from the matrix, the CSV does not sum up to the total count that's been presented in the Power BI. E.g. 10.000 in Power BI and 9600 in CSV.

I have tried to change M_count to just count instead of distinctCount, there is no issue with that.

Can someone explain to me why this is the case? What I did wrong? How do i reliably output the data from visual using the measure I want (i.e. distinctCount).

Unfortunately the data is confidential so I cannot really send a test Power BI file.

6 REPLIES 6
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello they came to help you or you were able to solve that issue?, I have the same problem of subtotals or totals, in addition to that the other data that appear in the BI table are not the same data when exporting in the csv.Consulta.jpg

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its the summary data that I was trying to output. And according to the link you sent me:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

shouldn't the limitation be 30K?

Limitations and considerations

These limitations and considerations apply to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service, including Power BI Pro and Premium.

• To export the data from a visual, you need to have Build permission for the underlying dataset.

• The maximum number of rows that Power BI Desktop and Power BI service can export from an import mode report to a .csv file is 30,000

Hi @Anonymous,

can you see a difference if you compare the values from Power BI and the CSV row by row? 

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mwegener ,

I would like to, however the sum is only differ by ~50 and there are almost 1000 lines in the matrix so i cannot really go row by row to check. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a few points added to the problem:

• Number of rows in CSV is only 15220 so its within the limit of whats been stated in the export data documentation (30,000).
  • ID field in the table A is unique.
  • ID field in table B is not unique.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.