Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sheetalshettiga
Helper IV
Helper IV

disable autodetect relationship before opening a pbix file

Hi all,

I want to disable the autodetect relationship before opening a .pbix or .pbit file.

But was only able to disbale it once we open a pbix or pbit file.

How can I acheive this so that autodetecting the relation is disabled forever and not changing it on each report level?

Please help.

8 REPLIES 8
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sheetalshettiga 

Power BI Desktop only offer option to enable or disable autodetect relationships for current file, and global settings cannot be made at this time.
The “IsRelationshipAutodetectionEnabled” in Settings file is effected by the settings of Relationships in Options pane and it can't be directly modified to take effect. If you modify the settings file, an error will occur when opening the pbix file.

v-cazheng-msft_0-1610329582776.jpeg

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-cazheng-msft 

Cant I set 'IsRelationshipAutodetectionEnabled' to false in setting file and generate a pbix out of it. Because I am doing a automation process to generate a pbix from backend files ,hence I need to set autodetection off before opening a pbix file.

Please help

HI, @sheetalshettiga 

The Settings file in pbix file can't be directly modified. If you set "IsRelationshipAutodetectionEnabled" to false in Settings file, you will see an error when opening related pbix file.

There is a method that may help you get the result you want.

There are two pbix files. File A disables autodetect relationships in Power BI Desktop Options pane, and file B enables autodetect relationships in Power BI Desktop Options pane. Then change the extensions of these two files to zip. Extract all files except Settings file of file A and only extract Settings file of file B. Compress all extracted file to a zip file and rename as a pbix file. This file can be open successfully and the option of autodetect relationship is disabled.

Remember that you cannot modify the Settings file.

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

how this disable and enable of relationship is done?

it needs to be done manually in the beginning?

Hi, @sheetalshettiga 

Yes, enable and disable of autodetect relationship is set in Power BI Desktop Options pane.

You can find the options by the following step. File> Options and settings> Options > Data Load under CURRENT FILE> Relationships.

v-cazheng-msft_2-1610435712420.png

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sheetalshettiga , Autodetect relation is only at report level as of now( Based on my checking)

Please log a new idea or vote for existing one - https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

@amitchandak can I off this autodetection of relationship from metadata file called settings which we get on unzipping pbix or pbit so that while creating a pbi file after zipping back and on open of file the autodetect is disabled?

@amitchandak 

I found this in the settings file the autodetect relationship can be set to false there  but still on making a pbix file of this it autodetects the relations even though by setting it to false

Please reply

settings file content

{
"Version": 2,
"ReportSettings": {
"IsRelationshipAutodetectionEnabled": false,
"IsAutoRecoveryEnabledForThisFile": false,
"IsQnaEnabledForThisFile": false
},
"QueriesSettings": {
"TypeDetectionEnabled": true,
"Version": "2.79.5768.721"
}
}

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.