Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rfway
Helper I
Helper I

data storytelling

Is there a way to prepare reports in sequence, such that recipients of the report can open tiles in a guided fashion, such as data stories in tableau?  Another way to ask the question is can a dashboard be prepared by pinning tiles in a sequential way?  And can there be a first tile that has an introduction and table of contents, whereby you can give the viewer an overall view of the report and the data you wish to emphasize?  My confusion about reports that are posted to dashboards is there doesnt seem to be a way to display tiles in a storytelling or organized format.

It would be great to use the tabs in reports in such a way that story points are done in tableau.

But I am well pleased with the progress that keeps coming via power bi.  Keep up the good work.

1 REPLY 1

@rfway Based on your description, you want a tile on a dashboard that directs a user to the first page in a report, whereby you can guide the user through the remaining tabs of the report. Given this assumption, here is how you can accomplish this.

First, a dashboard tile can be viewed as just a "pointer" to a location. As such, you can create any element on a report page (Text box, Image, etc) That defines the "Hey User, This is Report X"

Pin that element to the dashboard.

Delete that element from the report page

This report page, is now your landing page, and you can set up the Intro and Table of contents.

By following this method, you can create multiple reports and pin tiles to the same dashboard. Thus, linking X number of reports to the same dashboard, and guiding the user to each piece of the story in the appropriate place.

There are other tools you can explore along with Power BI to tell a story (Sway, Embed) - but based on your discription, I think the above will provide you with what you are looking for.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.