Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

custom column to show last month

hi all,

using this file, how do i change the custom column so that it show

1) last month

2) Last quarter
3) This quarter

(custom column)

Date.From(Date.AddDays(DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.FixedLocalNow(),10),-7))

any advice is grateful.

6 REPLIES 6
rajulshah
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous,

I have queries:
1. Do you want to create calculated columns in DAX or Power Query & why?
2. Do you want the column to show as 'Last Month', 'Last Quarter' or the value of Last Month for the relevant data?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rajulshah 

1) not too sure what is the difference between calculated columns in DAX & Power Query but the end result i need is to to a filter which is able to filter by current month/last month,last quarter, this quarter etc...

I tried using -30 but I know it wrong.

2) column to show Last Month (which mean Nov) and if this month is Jan 2020 (it will show dec as last month)

Can you show the expected result you want?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rajulshahend result is something like a filter which is able to filter by

a) current month

b) last month (I tried using -30 but I know it wrong)

c) last quarter

d) this quarter

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm not so sure #3(this quarter) means, can you please share explain more about this?
For 'last month' and 'last quarter', you can try to use Date.AddMonths,Date.AddQuarters instead Date.AddDays, they will get an accurate result:

AddColumn1= Table.AddColumn(#"Previous steps", "Last month", each Date.AddMonths(Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()),-1))

AddColumn2= Table.AddColumn(#"Previous steps", "Last quarter", each Date.AddQuarters(Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()),-1))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous,

Maybe these link can help you for quarter calculations:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Current-Quarter-and-last-quarter-calculation/td-p/703345

For month calculations you can do as below:

Previous month Value = CALCULATE([Measure],PREVIOUSMONTH(Date[Calendar Date]))
Current month Value = CALCULATE([Measure],FILTER(Date,MONTH(Date[Calendar Date])=MONTH(TODAY())&& YEAR(Date[Calendar Date])=YEAR(TODAY()))

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.