Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ToshSatellite

count and weighted average

Hi all,

I have 2 tables - one called (1) 'Individual Claims' and the other one called (2) 'Merged MPs-TS-OI'.

In table (1) I have 1 column (among others) called 'Amount Claimed'.
In table (2) I have 3 columns (among others) called 'MP Name', 'Party' (which UK political party the MP belongs to) and 'Period' (2010-2011, 2011-2012, etc.). The 2 tables are linked via a third table with unique values.

I've created a calculation to figure out the total number of MPs per period:

[Total No of MPs by Period] = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Merged MPs-TS-OI'[MP Name]), ALL('Merged MPs-TS-OI'[Period]))

After that, I tried to create a calculated measure to figure out the percentage of MPs per party per period in relation to the total number of MPs per period with the following formula:

[Ratio of MPs by Period] = DISTINCTCOUNT('Merged MPs-TS-OI'[MP Name]) / 'Merged MPs-TS-OI'[Total No of MPs by Period]

Basically I want a number in percentage that tells me how much a specific political party represents for each period, for example the Conservatives represented 42% of the total number of MPs for the period 2013-2014, etc. Once I get that number, I will then be able to multiply it by the amount claimed per MP and get a weighted average.

However, the second calculation is not working and is giving me very weird results, e.g. 216.67, 650.00, infinity, etc. And this is even before I attempted to calculate the weighted average!

Can anyone help please?

Thanking you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
richbenmintz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Any chance you could provide a sample pbix, and your desired result? this makes creating the required measure much easier.

Thanks,

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Because you are using the ALL, this ignores all context filters, which would include your Period, so you would end up with weird results most likely.

Perhaps just use:

MyCount = DISTINCTCOUNT('Merged MPs-TS-OI'[MP Name]) 

And then use a Quick Measure for % of Total?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you smoupre for your quick reply but I'm not sure I understand. If I don't use the ALL keyword, this will count all the MPs in the table, will it not?

Also what do you mean by Quick Measure for % of Total?

Would you have specific examples you could share please?

(You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I just literally started using Power BI last week!) 

Hi @ToshSatellite,

Could you post your table structures with some sample/dummy data and your expected result against that data? So that we can better assist on this issue. Smiley Happy

Regards

It will count only distinct values for MPs and this will be context sensitive. So, for example, if you had a table with some other data column, like Period for instance, you would get a count of all distinct values of MP for each period. Quick Measures can be accessed in the fields area of your visual, hover your mouse over the column/measure, click the drop down arrow and choose Quick Measure and then % of Total.

And I may certainly not understand exactly what you are going for.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Check these out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.