Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ant_lah
Regular Visitor

connecting answer codes to values

Hi all,

I'm just now picking up the tool, and I'm struggling with a specific challenge that I can't phrase concisely enough to search the web--if the answer is already out there, I'll be grateful for a link.

The format of the survey data I'll be working with is such that the responses are coded in integer numbers in one spreadsheet, with a separate spreadsheet translating the integers to the actual answer values. For example, here's part of the data sheet:

entire_survey-general_information-group1-gender

And, separately, I have the "dictionary":

list_name__name__label::English__
gender1Female
gender2Male

Naturally, I have many more survey questions with many more code-value pairs. Is there a standard way to replace the answer codes with the actual values in my data / visualizations? I can (hopefully) write an R script to do that before I plug the data into PBI, but if there's a practical way to do this on PBI, I'd be grateful to learn of it.

Thanks!

-Anton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

@vanessafvg ,Thanks for your concern about the problem, and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @ant_lah , based on your description, you can refer to the following solution.

Sample data is the same as you provided.

You can create three calculated columns in table(ODK_DB_Correted).

Gender =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( Choices[label::English] ),
    Choices[list_name] = "gender",
    Choices[name]
        = EARLIER ( ODK_DB_Correted[entire_survey-general_information-group1-gender] )
)
Age =
CALCULATE (
    Choices[list_name] = "age",
    Choices[name]
        = EARLIER ( ODK_DB_Correted[entire_survey-general_information-group1-age] )
)
Education =
CALCULATE (
    Choices[list_name] = "education",
    Choices[name]
        = EARLIER ( ODK_DB_Correted[entire_survey-general_information-group1-education] )
)

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1713511029413.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you give a sample of your data, as its hard to figure a solution without the full pic, if you provide just a meaningful example with your expected output that would be useful.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Right--my bad; here's a small data sample

Thanks!

Hi,

@vanessafvg ,Thanks for your concern about the problem, and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @ant_lah , based on your description, you can refer to the following solution.

Sample data is the same as you provided.

You can create three calculated columns in table(ODK_DB_Correted).

Gender =
CALCULATE (
    Choices[list_name] = "gender",
    Choices[name]
        = EARLIER ( ODK_DB_Correted[entire_survey-general_information-group1-gender] )
)
Age =
CALCULATE (
    Choices[list_name] = "age",
    Choices[name]
        = EARLIER ( ODK_DB_Correted[entire_survey-general_information-group1-age] )
)
Education =
CALCULATE (
    Choices[list_name] = "education",
    Choices[name]
        = EARLIER ( ODK_DB_Correted[entire_survey-general_information-group1-education] )
)

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1713511029413.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.