Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

best table setup to begin a Ticket based data model

Hello everyone,

This is my first data model & I would like to have some advice on best table setups before doing any calculation.

I have a classic, fact table with one row per ticket with a status + extra details & also  4 different dates dimensions I need to use to calculate basic aging but also some advanced aging flagging based on different criteria contained in the model.

I have a calendar table with all the details i need & that i can replicate if need be.

The aging will need to be calculated between creation date & close date (some tickets won't have a close date).

I want to be able to use any relative date to have a view of my open pipeline of tickets to date, my average versus last year, last Q, etc ...

Now, what I need the help of the community for is to understand if i need to break down the fact table calculate the status & aging of my cases the best & clean way possible or not .... & what kind of relationship i need to create between my calendar(s) & my table(s) for a basic calculation.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Well, you will likely at some point need this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Open-Tickets/m-p/409364#M147

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon, Thanks Amitchandak to tka of your tie to help me ., it helps a lot to see that a model of a fact table with 2 dates need for calculations. Super helpful

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Well, you will likely at some point need this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Open-Tickets/m-p/409364#M147

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Greg, thanks for your input & this is a post I flagged in my personal favorites because I will surely use it soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.